7th Annual Jacket Giveaway for Military Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7th Annual Jacket Giveaway for Military Members

It is my pleasure to do this giveaway once again this year. Seven years ago, I had this idea and it brings me joy in remembering my grandfather every year. To nominate someone simply comment their name or username below. You can nominate yourself, other members and non-members. Veterans and current military men and women are eligible to win a Kuiu Jacket.

Robert Waldrep (Papa to me and his many grandchildren) was a member of the 99th infantry in WW2. He fought in Belgium and slowly made his way to Germany across the Ludendorff Bridge at the town of Remagen. The bridge was blown to pieces shortly after he led his group of men across. Although short in stature, he was full of bravery and integrity to which I had the blessing of him passing on these lessons and stories from his experiences fighting for my freedom. He was the recipient of 2 purple hearts and 2 bronze stars.

Five years ago, I had the amazing experience of being able to step foot in these amazing places that I had heard countless stories of from my war time bedtime stories with papa. I saw the Ardennes forest where he was shot in the shoulder. With the heavy snowfall, the GI’s stuck out like a sore thumb with their earth toned gear. Papa crawled to a fence. There he saw men gunned downed in efforts to reach him. In his story, he said that his captain was making his way to him. Papa was motioning him to get down as an enemy sniper had been picking off American soldiers in the snow. Unfortunately, the captain was shot right in front of my grandpa. The crawl back to the American camp was long and cold, and upon making it there Papa found out that almost his whole company was missing or KIA.
    As a kid, Papa and I would run across the “Remagan Bridge” which just happened to be in San Angelo, Tx, or so that’s what I was told. I never realized the feat that he had accomplished until I was face to face with the bridge itself. The bridge of course is no longer in place but the guard towers are. From a strategic setting, the German positions on the bridge had the upper hand. With a large cliff overlooking the bridge, Germans had a clear view of GI’s crossing the bridge. I was able to see what Papa saw just before he led his troops across that bridge while picking up MRE’s and ammo off of his dead soldiers.

The winter of 1944 and 1945 was one of the coldest ever in Belgium. Papa spent over a month living in a fox hole on a north facing ridge facing German artillery fire. Fires were not allowed and cold weather gear was scarce yet these brave men pulled through. I found this exact ridge in between what is called “The twin sisters” which is two close villages in Belgium. The area is now a military compound area, but luckily the fence had some holes so I was able to sneak in. No one was present in the compound that day as I snuck around the woods. What I found I will never forget. In the woods there were large holes, about two feet deep spread out for a couple hundred yards. Old foxholes used by my grandpa and his band of brothers.

Through the cold and the snow, Papa always talked about how a pair of wool socks that his mom had sent him was the difference between him succumbing to the elements and just barely getting by. He always wanted to hear about my adventures in the mountains and my hunting stories to which I always told him down to the exact detail of what all I had done.
    Because of his sacrifice he made to this country, and the many other men and women who have sacrificed everything, I found the idea to keep a soldier warm while he was out in the woods chasing after deer, elk, or whatever his quarry was that day.

Papa taught me how to be a man of character, integrity, when to have patience, and when to stand up for what you believe in. When I am guiding a client or am on hunt myself, I think about him often.

Comment below your name, or someone else who has served or is currently serving in the military. You can post as many names as you want. The winner of the drawing will win a Kuiu Jacket!

The giveaway will be open until December 15 at 11:59pm.

I have been blessed with guys in the past donating items or purchasing another jacket to giveaway to a military member. If you would like to help in any form, send a PM my way.

Once again, thank you to all of our veterans and current military members. We will never know the fear you have faced and will never be able to repay you for what you have sacrificed. Thank you!

Jason Dickens
    Attached Files

Wonderful gesture for sure.

Comment

bump

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

I nominate Chris Ritchie aka Fargus

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome gesture. I nominate my father, Bobby L. Rodgers.
            Army-Vietnam

Comment

Great that you got to get all his stories passed down. They are/were the Greatest Generation!

Comment

I’ll nominate my brother. Colonel Cliff Bailey in the USAF.

Comment

Love seeing this thread every year. I’ll get in on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great gesture once again.
                    I’m throwin Speedgoat, Geezy Rider and Chew in the hat

Comment

Originally posted by Iehooligan11b View Post
                      Great gesture once again.
                      I’m throwin Speedgoat, Geezy Rider and Chew in the hat
                      Thanks!

I'd like to nominate iehooligan11b !

Comment

Thanks again for your generosity. I would also like to nominate: Wolfkat, Bloodtrail and Bohica.

Comment

Awesome gesture! I nominate my brother. He was just a private I believe but he did a tour in Iraq.

Comment

I feel silly doing this, but I guess I'll nominate myself.

Comment

Originally posted by charrell71 View Post
                              I feel silly doing this, but I guess I'll nominate myself.

Thank you for your service!
                              I nominate my FIL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X