Tractor Horse power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
    The 5065e is one of the quotes I got last week. The other was for the 5075e.
    I absolutely love mine, I only wish I had gotten the cab. The dust alone is reason enough.

Comment

100hp, anything smaller will get torn up fast.

Comment

I wouldn’t even consider buying a tractor for a property that size smaller than 100 hp and that’s probably to small, thats a lot of shredding and it all sounds like fun sitting on a tractor for 2-3 weeks at a time cutting 250 acres with a 50 horse tractor until you’ve done it a few times, worn your bargain priced tractor out, replaced several sets of blades and torn up who knows what else in the process of trying to save a buck buying a small rig.

If you simply can’t afford the right size tractor at this point I would just hire the shredding out until you can.

Comment

With that kind of area to shred, I would want as big as I could afford. 100 hp and a batwing would be ideal like some have said. A cab isn't a must, but is 100x more fun that the dust bowl you'll be sitting in, and pays for itself the first time you hit a hornets nest. If you look hard enough you can find what you want used in an older tractor, but you'll pay close to the same for a good one. There ain't many deals out there. Most of the older tractors you find "cheap" especially in the larger sizes are that way for a reason (tons of hours and in need of constant repairs). Good luck and let us know what you get.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. This has given me a lot to think about.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. This has given me a lot to think about.
              Where you at?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
                Where you at?

Milam County

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The batwing shedder was part of the quite I got last week. I guess I'm just not ready to spend $16k on a shredder yet.

First cut will change that!

Comment

To be honest I don't know how much of that I will be shredding regularly. It would all be shredded to begin with to clear it out. After that I would say a good sprayer to maintain vs regular shredding time. This is a cattle ranch that is overgrown and needs to be maintained. Once the goat weeds are knocked down and I can spray, the shredding may not be as big of a deal.

Your going want to shred at least once per year no matter

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                      I just sold a 52hp and bought a 116hp. The jump in fuel consumption was not linear with the jump in horsepower. I went from two gallons an hour to about seven. No more than I use the tractor, the fuel cost is not important. As I was reading your job list, I was thinking that a 75HP tractor would do the jobs with power to spare. I was doing everything on your list with my 52HP for the past eighteen years and did not suffer too much. The only reason that I bought larger was to be able to pull some tillage equipment. So, that will give you a range to work in. I just don't think that the smaller tractors have the weight to do much in the way of digging dirt or moving round bales with any weight to them. My small tractor weighed about 6500 pounds with the loader and a full tank of fuel. I kept either a blade, disc, or shredder mounted to counter balance a loaded bucket.

Gallons per hour must also be compared to work done per hour. I would bet fuel consumed to complete a given task is pretty linear.

Comment

I went through this a couple of months ago, but not for the same amount of land, only 70 acres. Ended up with a 54hp Kubota. After about 25 hours on it, I would have went with a cab and at least a 8' shredder. Happy with it otherwise.

Comment

Figure out what size you can afford, then go at least 3 sizes bigger!

Comment

I am on board for having the cab tractor as well. The comfort is nice but the reason I love them is it helps keep your lungs clear of all the stuff your kicking up. Plus, you ain’t ever lived until you blast through a nest of bumble bees or stirred up some ground hornets. You will bail off it in a hurry and start dancing real fast.

Comment

Originally posted by FCoDxDart View Post
                              I absolutely love mine, I only wish I had gotten the cab. The dust alone is reason enough.

Not to mention the ground hornets. They got me 23 times. I’m looking for a cab tractor now.

Comment

Originally posted by rlp View Post
                                Not to mention the ground hornets. They got me 23 times. I’m looking for a cab tractor now.
                                Yellow jackets, bees in logs, wasps in low hanging branches, worst ones were bumble bees in a ground nest 37 stings.

U will end up with 2 tractors, a skid steer and an old dozer buy used and watch you tube repair videos.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X