Hunting power line easements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting power line easements

Any of you tried patterning deer on an easement that cuts across heavily wooded acreage? This is a new property purchase for me. The previous owner said that it hadn’t been hunted in decades so there’s gotta be some big deer on it. Gotta stock up on Permethrin to keep the ticks off me.

Well, I would plant a food plot down the easement or at least put up a feeder. May be big deer and may not, depends on how big of a property you purchased as a deer/buck has a large home range. Some larger than others. Have you looked at satellite maps to see your neighbors property in relation to yours? Another thing will depend on where this power line easement is located in relation to your neighbors property. Should have good hunting regardless but a lot of factors at play.

I would set up game cameras on trails that are on the easement. Should be easy to find and give your some inventory

Comment

We used to hunt a large ranch down outside of Freer that had large pipeline right of ways all over it. Deer traveled them regularly. Some of them had the 4x4 posts painted white with red tops and the bucks loved to rub on them. Some were hit so hard they were more like 2x2's in some portions! Killed plenty of deer on those pipelines! Good luck.

Comment

The utilities that operate the easements will come in from time to time to cut trees and brush and upgrade and repair the equipment. The disturbances can run deer out of the area depending on how intensive the work is. My utility worked with me to delay some work until after deer season. Look for old rubs and game trails and set out cameras to find out where they are crossing.

Comment

As Beargrass said, plant it and they will come. Just make sure and not plant close to a road where poachers can look down in your plot.

Comment

All good advice. Put down some hand corn on well traveled trails and put up cameras. Within a few weeks you’ll have an idea on what you might want to do permantly.

Comment

Got my first bow kill on a transmission line easement. Watched about 10 does cross the easement on the same trail on a Sunday morning. Went back to college for the week, returned on Friday and put up a ladder stand about 15 yards inside the tree line. Saturday morning I stuck a doe at 10 yards and watched her drop about 30 yards away. No feeder, no corn, just me and them in their natural element.

We saw lots of game cross that easement for the 5 or 6 years we had the place. If you need any help I have a bow and will travel!

Good luck!
              Last edited by RS3; 08-27-2021, 07:17 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys. I appreciate it.

One thing I am concerned about is poachers. Maybe by putting out lots of hidden cameras and inviting some of y’all we can put the hurt on that type activity. I’ve dealt with poachers in East TX and it can bring out the worst in people.

Comment

Working...
                X