Mobile Home Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Home Questions

This home is a early 90's model and I have some questions. I have not had it moved to ranch yet, hoping to have it there by end of the month.
    Windows- It has cheap single pane/aluminum frame windows. Is there a up grade made for mobile homes or is better off using the normal windows that Home Depot/Lowes offer?

Same question for the front/rear doors?

What kind of wall construction is used on MH? Is it typical 2x4? Other? I think I am going to start in one room and pull sheet rock off and put new insulation in and put sheet rock or other material back in place

It has shingle roof construction and it is missing some shingles. I did not see any indications of a water leak on the interior. I want to put a tin roof on it. I would use 1x4 pine on top of the shingles. Frame it out on the outer perimeter and then 1 or 2 stringers of 1x4 going the length of the roof. I am thinking about using foam board insulation placed between the 1x4 and the cap with tin. I have a bunch of foam board to use. I could go with 2x4 lumber and stack the foam board for better insulation. Any thoughts/ideas on this one?

A few years ago my grandfather had an early 90’s rent house that the last tenants totally trashed. So he hired a company to come in and completely demolish and haul it off. When they got the walls down to the studs, it had 2X3 studs in the walls.

As far as the foam board insulation goes, I just insulated a shed with 1” foam board on all the walls and the ceiling. It wasn’t too bad, but it was only about an R7 insulation value if I remember right. If I was living in it, I would want more insulation than that. But for working in, it was pretty good.

Comment

ttt

Comment

We re-did ours at the lake a while back. took it down to the studs. Open Cell Spray Foam for insulation, put a metal roof on, 1x6 Pine T&G on ceiling, Smart Board on walls, LVT Flooring, recessed LED lights throughout, vinyl windows and regular exterior doors from lumber yard.

Comment

Probably 2x3 with 3/8 or 1/4 Sheetrock.
          They are fairly easy to rebuild, did a lot of that back in the 90’s for my dad.

Comment

I don’t think I’d ad insulation between the metal roof and current shingle roof. Condensation may rust the metal. I put a metal roof over shingles with the same process ( 1x4’s onto shingles) and just allow air to flow through

Comment

Working...
            X