X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rainfall gathering system

I have a metal barn with a 12x40 lean-to on the opposite end
    I have purchased the storage tank
    Should I leave the tank outside the lean to area where I store equipment and materials or keep it in the shade underneath.
    Supposedly these tanks have algae inhibiting color walls.
    It’s 11,000’ gallons.
    For anyone who has done this project, did you build a pad and slab?
    How thick? It is rockier soil here

Thanks for any suggestions.

Big pig

In to follow. I'm looking at doing a similar project soon.

Comment

Shade if possible.

Level the site with extra dirt - get it off the rocks.

I think {look it up} we used 1 cup of bleech to 500 gallons of water.
      Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 10-08-2021, 06:59 AM.

Comment

I would pour a pad for a tank that size. That is a tremendous amount of weight full.

Comment

No slab needed but a very level pad site with several inches of pea gravel or course sand would work well. Remember to plot your roof washer system to collect the first 5 minutes of water into so the water with debris doesn't go into the tank. Mine was homemade and worked well. After 20 years I only had a little circle of debris in the middle of my first tank.
          Attached Files

Comment

I would not use pea gravel. Over time the gravel will work its way through the tank and make a hole. Pour a slab or just place on level ground

Comment

No helpful info here but just out of curiosity what are you going to use the water for?

I would like to something similar in the future and set up with a pump and sprinkler for watering the yard, garden ect...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                Shade if possible.

Level the site with extra dirt - get it off the rocks.

I think {look it up} we used 1 cup of bleech to 500 gallons of water.
                We were watering wildlife...

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                  No slab needed but a very level pad site with several inches of pea gravel or course sand would work well. Remember to plot your roof washer system to collect the first 5 minutes of water into so the water with debris doesn't go into the tank. Mine was homemade and worked well. After 20 years I only had a little circle of debris in the middle of my first tank.
                  Curious if you had a manual valve you would turn or if you had an automatic system with regards to the 5 minute washer operation? If automatic would you mind sharing how it was put together??

Comment

Following this. We are needing something at our place. Only place to find water was a mile away. We pressure pump water from the well up hill a mile to get to our house. Sure need a backup plan.

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry for slow reply
                        Probably gonna pour a slab due to rocky soil
                        Gonna put it under the “lean-to” portion of my barn.

I want to use the water for garden yard and cow/wildlife trough.
                        Going to use the 40x12 lean-to roof for my collection to start with.
                        In brown county we don’t have a lot of rain, but I have limited need for the water
                        If I need more, the 40x50 barn is guttered
                        No trees around this area, so the only debris I expect is dust, insects and bird poop.

Any words of wisdom?

Big pig

Comment

Put a screen over the top. We used to catch water off the tin shack camp house in Webb county since we had no water or electricity. It was all fine until I checked the water level when leaving one Sunday after drinking water all weekend and it was full of floating rats. Talk about feeling sick.

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                              Curious if you had a manual valve you would turn or if you had an automatic system with regards to the 5 minute washer operation? If automatic would you mind sharing how it was put together??
                              Sorry I didn't answer you back when this thread was first posted. My roof washer system is kind of automatic. It is a 10' piece of 12" pvc with reducers on both ends, to 4". I have a 4" "T" on both ends. The tube fills up and then flows across the filled tube to go to the storage tanks. The lower "T" has a faucet on one end and a threaded clean out on the other. I leave the faucet on a slow drip so after the rain quits, the faucet drips until the 12" pvc is empty. I clean it out of leaves and such about twice a year. It has worked well.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X