Golf club restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf club restoration

Bought this Walter Hagen 1 wood at Goodwill a few weeks ago for $1.99. Took it apart, sanded it, cleaned up the bottom plate, finished it with some tung oil, put it back together with some new screws and had the golf shop put a new grip on it for $7. I think it turned out pretty good and it’s a joy to hit.

I’ve searched the internet trying to figure out how old it is with no luck. Any golf historians have any ideas?
    Attached Files

What kind of shaft does it have? Reason I asked is older clubs had hickory, then it was fiberglass finished to resemble wood because pros at the time were used to wood and it was a marketing plan. Then came steel. I don’t have my book with me at the ranch but Thursday I can look up and give you all the history. Internet may be of help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Head and inserts look in great shape.

Comment

Originally posted by pure lefty View Post
        What kind of shaft does it have? Reason I asked is older clubs had hickory, then it was fiberglass finished to resemble wood because pros at the time were used to wood and it was a marketing plan. Then came steel. I don’t have my book with me at the ranch but Thursday I can look up and give you all the history. Internet may be of help.

Steel shaft with a plastic ferrule so I know it’s not super old. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Yes sir, when I get to my book, I will pm you some info

Comment

That’s exactly what it says, Hagen 19MO 1 Wood. It was made circa 1960’s amd was the “Great Big Birtha” of it’s era. If in mint condition, not refurbished, it’s probably worth around $100-$150. You’ve done a nice job on it, steel shaft, I’m assuming….it’s worth around $35-$40. Keep it and enjoy playing with it. I have several I still use and a few I have vacuumed sealed in glass tubes worth $2-$3,000 each. I have an original set of irons from Ben Hogan, which he gave to a family friend. These irons won a Major, they are labeled and have been authenticated. The estimated value of this 10 iron set was last appraised at nearly $75,000. Golf clubs are my thing…..I’ve got some really cool stuff and most if it came from me just saying, “hey, can I have that?”. You’d be shocked how many pro’s will hand you irons, putters, wedges, fairway woods, just for asking.
            Last edited by RLB; 10-12-2021, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X