Why no PP for TPW draw hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
    Why doesn't TPW offer a preference point only option for draw hunts. Im putting in for alligator and javelina this year knowing if I get drawn i won't be able to go. I'm also putting in for GDE and Mule Deer, if I get drawn for those i will make it work but it will be difficult and I'd much prefer not to get drawn for either of those this year.

Further like I many are probably putting in for the most difficult hunts to draw to minimize the odds of being drawn which just screws the people who can make the hunt that year by lowering their odds of being drawn. Id guesstimate that 15-25% of people putting in for hunts are in the same situation as I. A preference point only option would probably be greatly accepted by the public. It would allow the people who can't make hunts that year still increase their chances of drawing in future years by gaining a point and increasing the odds of people who can actually make the hunt and want to be drawn for the year by getting some of the people out of the pool who are in it just for the point.

So how many of yall put in for hunts just for the point? What is your estimate of hunters doing g the same?

Anyone know who at TPWD I could email to lobby for PP only option?
    You make a good point, I would be for it as is would increase the odds of everyone in those hard to draw hunts. So long as you could only buy 1 preference point per category per year I see no problem with it and not sure why TPWD has not instituted this. They've send out a draw hunt survey via email the last 2 years and I've no doubt they have got a ton of requests to add the ability to buy a point but its falling on deaf ears. The state draw system is disappointing and has been for a number of years.

Comment

If you absolutely can’t go, don’t apply. You will feel a lot worse if you zero out your points for nothing, than if you skip this year but still have your points next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Agree there should be a point only option. One of the many things I’d like to see changed in the Texas draw system. I’d also like to see app fee increase (such as $3 to $10 or so for residents), increase app fees for non-res to be more than resident costs, and limit apps to one hunt per category.

Comment

Oklahoma this year started to allow an option when applying to pay a small extra fee to enable the applicant to cancel their hunt and keep their preference point if for some reason they can't go.

Comment

Ill keep hoping i get drawn for brazos bend and call in sick if i need to!

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
              If you absolutely can’t go, don’t apply. You will feel a lot worse if you zero out your points for nothing, than if you skip this year but still have your points next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              This right here folks!!!
              If you know what dates you can’t go, then do not apply. That simple. I’ve seen here more than once where somebody put in for 2 different hunts on the same dates then end up winning both!! Why would you do that??
              Oh, to the OP, the PP points are not true PP points. I would send TPWD this question and see what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                Preference points should be done away with. People just starting out will probably never draw.
                I drew Chaparral GDE the first time I ever applied 2 years ago

Comment

Look at states that have a preference point system then get back to us on why it’s such a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                    Look at states that have a preference point system then get back to us on why it’s such a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                      It would be nice to have a point pool and random pool for the tags so applicants could still have a chance at a premier unit with 0 pts.

Comment

Working...
                      X