Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medi-Share insurance alternative

Anyone here part of Medi-Share program?

If so, what are your thoughts as an alternative to insurance?

Following

Comment

We’ve had it for about 4 years now. Have 2 children. One has had to have tonsils and adenoids removed and tubes put in and the rest of us has had nothing major other than the occasional trip to the doc. Wife and I both get physicals every two years. We pay a co-pay for any doc trips and haven’t had any bills that they would t cover that were shocking to us. Every claim we’ve made has been a simple process. We pay around d $500 vs $1600. We have no complaints.

Comment

My whole family uses Medi-Share.

So far I don’t have any complaints. Compared to what we would pay for traditional private insurance, it is a bargain. It is different in the fact that you will pay an adjusted rate at a dr. Office instead of just a co-pay. So expect to pay some additional cash for services after it is processed.
        Also, it doesn’t really cover prescription drugs. We solved that by using the GoodRx app.

My family of 4 costs me around $700 per month with a $5000 “deductible” (although I could lower that if I wanted).
        A comparable private insurance plan wasn’t available for us to purchase. The closest I could find was over $1,500 a month, no joke, with horrible coverage and a $10,000 deductible.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hillary View Post
          My whole family uses Medi-Share.

So far I don’t have any complaints. Compared to what we would pay for traditional private insurance, it is a bargain. It is different in the fact that you will pay an adjusted rate at a dr. Office instead of just a co-pay. So expect to pay some additional cash for services after it is processed.
          Also, it doesn’t really cover prescription drugs. We solved that by using the GoodRx app.

My family of 4 costs me around $700 per month with a $5000 “deductible” (although I could lower that if I wanted).
          A comparable private insurance plan wasn’t available for us to purchase. The closest I could find was over $1,500 a month, no joke, with horrible coverage and a $10,000 deductible.

Let me know if you have any questions.

This is the exact plan we have.

We have been on it 5 years and no complaints.

Have a had a few ER visit, one pregnancy / delivery / hospital stay for five days after.

For the most part, we felt really well taken care of.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I may go to the Dr every couple of years. In doing so I cannot justify private insurance costs. I just looked and the BCBS Texas was $379/mo with $8000 deductible. It would be cheaper for me to pay cash out of pocket.

About 2 years ago my negotiatiated cash price for a CT scan was $450. If they filed on insurance it was going to be $3300. Holy cow!

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
              Thanks for the replies. I may go to the Dr every couple of years. In doing so I cannot justify private insurance costs. I just looked and the BCBS Texas was $379/mo with $8000 deductible. It would be cheaper for me to pay cash out of pocket.

About 2 years ago my negotiatiated cash price for a CT scan was $450. If they filed on insurance it was going to be $3300. Holy cow!

I agree with that. I always ask for a cash price.

And I always negotiate the final price with the hospital/Doctors office. I ask them for discounts if I pay the balance in full. If they refuse to give me one then I tell them I will pay them $10 a month until it is paid off. [emoji854] they usually balk and whack some of the total down.

Treat them like a used car salesman. Insurance, especially medical insurance, is such a corrupt system.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post

I did forget to add that a few times that we’ve needed care I asked for cash price and it was cheaper so that’s the route we took. Also agree with Hillary. We use the good rx app and pay for prescriptions that way. At this point you couldn’t pay me to go back to “ conventional” insurance. I’m self employed also.

Comment

Bump from a reference in another thread.

Open enrollment is next week and adding my wife to my plan is going to cost 8200$ more a year so looking at alternatives.

Comment

tagged

Comment

As long as yall understand this is not insurance

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                        As long as yall understand this is not insurance
                        Ok. So what is the difference?

Comment

I’ve heard good things about Medi-share and Samaritans Purse insurance

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
                            Ok. So what is the difference?
                            Check into the details, but this is not insurance

In the event of a major event, you will not fare well with this. Minor stuff it seems to be ok and cheaper.

But like anything, insurance is a just in case type of deal

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              Check into the details, but this is not insurance

In the event of a major event, you will not fare well with this. Minor stuff it seems to be ok and cheaper.

But like anything, insurance is a just in case type of deal
                              You've used Medi-share before or just guessing?

Comment

Working...
                              X