No announcement yet.

Who's shot dove with a bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shot one in the ground last year in my property. I was target shooting with my son and while walking back to the house, two were there n the ground under an oak.

Comment

Originally posted by thebowhunters View Post
      I have six total over the last ten years or so. I use my short bow that is in the longbow category with flu flus and three to four wire snarls on the business end. My favorite setup was a really deep pond that only had a small amount of water. Sitting on the slope behind a big boulder, standing at the right time for the dove to go O S__T and Swack. Run to retrieve, take a pic, and get the shotgun because your freaking tired of chasing arrows. All six of my dove were my first dove of the year. Good luck
      This guy knows what he's talking about.

Comment

I might see if he wants to get some decoys and shoot them as they're coming in to land. It'd be cool to see him get one out of the air but we'll see.

Comment

Upcoming pheasant season in Iowa we will have the longbows in hand. My cousin has a two year old Deutsch Drahthaar that worked great last year in the field. Time to buy points shortly.

Comment

I shot one off the ground, but haven't tried air. I think what you've got as far as recommendations is what I'd try.

Comment

Killed lots of ducks with by recurve (and 2 with an old Viking compound), using flu-flu's and either judo or condor points. I like the condor's better. they're the same as a judo escept the wires are about an inch long each. I may give it a whirl this year if tank hunting proves out OK for us... Thebowhunters approach seems like a good one, and should limit the loss of arras. I have a dirt tank with high banks that I can sit in brush near the top of the bank and shoot "down" sort of as they swoop in over the bowl of the tank...

I know enough about shooting flying targets if I get enough opportunities to snap shoot a few to get a "lead" feeling down, I think I could do it... We'll see!

Good luck to your friend OP!! Heck, get you a target recurve and get out there and try it yourself!!

Comment

I have one off the ground on video somewhere it was a great shoot, judo point.

I would love to try this but I can't afford that many arrows....hitting pigs running is hard enough....

I have heard Tim describe turning down the weight of the bow so your brain can calculate/keep up with the flight better, of course he doesn't use sights.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  Killed lots of ducks with by recurve (and 2 with an old Viking compound), using flu-flu's and either judo or condor points. I like the condor's better. they're the same as a judo escept the wires are about an inch long each. I may give it a whirl this year if tank hunting proves out OK for us... Thebowhunters approach seems like a good one, and should limit the loss of arras. I have a dirt tank with high banks that I can sit in brush near the top of the bank and shoot "down" sort of as they swoop in over the bowl of the tank...

I know enough about shooting flying targets if I get enough opportunities to snap shoot a few to get a "lead" feeling down, I think I could do it... We'll see!

Good luck to your friend OP!! Heck, get you a target recurve and get out there and try it yourself!!
                  I'll relay this good info to him so it's a little easier to accomplish maybe. As for me trying it......well.....try is the correct term. There's one word to describe hunters like me when they use a bow. And that word is hungry.LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X