The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txagyotebuster View Post
    When you say longer range? Like how far are we talking identifying animals? And then detection? I have a 7 or 8 yr old D740 gen 3 scope that is amazing as far as NV goes. But it's not as versatile as thermal. A buddy has a 5 or 6 yr old thermal that i wanna say is a Night Hawg or something brand. It will pick up heat signature way way off but the resolution and clarity isn't as good as some of the new stuff. Identifying animals at 500 yds isn't very easy.

I guess I'm asking how much better is the 640 or the pulsar xp50? Are they 1-2k better? More features?
    Technology has come a long ways in 5-6 years. A thermal and NV cannot even be put in the same sentence IMO.

You cannot ID animals with nV like you can with a good thermal.

I can positively ID a hog, coyote, deer at 800 yards with my Reap.

500 yards is a chip shot for ID with todays thermal equipment

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
      I have been using a wraith since 2019 and they work great for hunting out of a stand. I have killed tons of pigs and a few other critters. My kids have also killed deer using the wraith (during the day) with full color video. It helps to go back and see where they were actually holding vs where they thought they were holding. The wraith isn't the greatest for scanning and finding animals but it is great for once you get on them or at a feeder. I just added a thermal monocular but haven't hunted with it yet. I will this weekend and I'll update but I think it will add a lot. I think the thermal will help a lot spotting game and I won't be swinging my gun while looking. The wraith's add quite a bit of weight to the gun though when you factor in the IR light. You can go this route for less than $2k which is what I have done. Some on here will tell you buy once cry once and talk down the wraith, etc. That may be true for some but I have been more than happy with what the Wraith provides and how I use it. It will only get better in my opinion with the monocular.
      been meaning to ask.... how is the monocular working out for you?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
        been meaning to ask.... how is the monocular working out for you?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
        Working great. I finally got a chance to really hunt with it last weekend. I was amazed at what all could be seen. Unfortunately I didn't connect the first night, not sure if I got winded or what but I saw pigs with the monocular. Saturday I was able to shoot a good sized sow and she ran off about 30 yards. I switched the palette to red hot and she looked like a huge red light in the brush. Definitely a game changer as far as tracking goes!!

Overall, I'm very happy and it is a huge addition to the arsenal. I don't think the results from either night would have been different but the ease of use and convenience was a game changer. Thanks again.

Comment

So who has looked through the iray rico 384? How does the image quality compare to say the 640 or the thermion xp50. The way we usually hunt is to scan big fields then stalk to within range. We may spot stuff half a mile or more away then try to get as close as possible

Comment

Boring video, unless you have a Super Hogster, then it may help you.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd3MLH6PPKw&t=2s"]Super Hogster 101 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by GregO View Post

Super Hogster 101 - YouTube
              I just purchased one and patiently waiting for it to arrive. Shipped yesterday and can’t wait for it to get here.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                I just purchased one and patiently waiting for it to arrive. Shipped yesterday and can’t wait for it to get here.
                That's awesome. I've had mine for a few weeks now, have just been playing with it. The real test comes this weekend, finally going to use it in the field.
                Last edited by GregO; 03-24-2021, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Video from this past weekend. Cotton tail in distress was working all weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                    I didn't even notice, what is the base mag?

What is MSRP on the 640 units?

Talked to 2 people who own thermal companies, and they still say the HALO LR beats the Iray 640.
                    Base mag is 4x with a FOV of 32.5ft at 100 yards. Pretty tight for under 100 yard shooting. Better than the 24ft FOV on the old discontinued FLIR PTS 536 and a better image quality but it's not what the average spot and stalk hog hunter is going to want if he's shooting at 20-50 yards.

N-Vision beats the Rico 640, no question. Rico is awesome and worth every penny and at $1,500 less than a Halo LR, I believe it's perfectly priced. I agree though, N-Vision is still the top of the top.

I guess I'm asking how much better is the 640 or the pulsar xp50? Are they 1-2k better? More features?
                    I consider the Rico 384 to be ideal for guys taking mostly 75+ yard shots and I'm not going to say how far you can shoot because I believe most people shouldn't be shooting at night past about 200 yards but I do realize there are exceptions and some people are capable. I am not one of them.lol But I can easily ID at 400+ yards with the Rico 384 which is pretty darn amazing for a 384 $4,000 scope.

You can't really compare NV and thermal. I can tell you that the Pulsar XP50 and XG50 as well as the Rico 640 and even the 384 are all amazing optics but unfortunately comparing them to NV just isn't really possible.

Comment

So who has looked through the iray rico 384? How does the image quality compare to say the 640 or the thermion xp50. The way we usually hunt is to scan big fields then stalk to within range. We may spot stuff half a mile or more away then try to get as close as possible
                      The Rico 384 is outstanding, probably the best 384 resolution scope out there but it's not fair to compare it to a 2x 640 resolution XP50 or even a 3x Rico 640, it's just apples and oranges. But if you're looking to do a lot of 75-100+ yard shooting and very little under that (unless it's feeder type hunting etc) then the Rico 384 is a heck of a good scope.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                        Base mag is 4x with a FOV of 32.5ft at 100 yards. Pretty tight for under 100 yard shooting. Better than the 24ft FOV on the old discontinued FLIR PTS 536 and a better image quality but it's not what the average spot and stalk hog hunter is going to want if he's shooting at 20-50 yards.

N-Vision beats the Rico 640, no question. Rico is awesome and worth every penny and at $1,500 less than a Halo LR, I believe it's perfectly priced. I agree though, N-Vision is still the top of the top.

I consider the Rico 384 to be ideal for guys taking mostly 75+ yard shots and I'm not going to say how far you can shoot because I believe most people shouldn't be shooting at night past about 200 yards but I do realize there are exceptions and some people are capable. I am not one of them.lol But I can easily ID at 400+ yards with the Rico 384 which is pretty darn amazing for a 384 $4,000 scope.

You can't really compare NV and thermal. I can tell you that the Pulsar XP50 and XG50 as well as the Rico 640 and even the 384 are all amazing optics but unfortunately comparing them to NV just isn't really possible.
                        Very very well said. 3.5-4x is my ideal starting mag based on my experience with Reap 2.5x. I normally zoom once and that gets me to 5x, which is a tad much on a group of pigs

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                          The Rico 384 is outstanding, probably the best 384 resolution scope out there but it's not fair to compare it to a 2x 640 resolution XP50 or even a 3x Rico 640, it's just apples and oranges. But if you're looking to do a lot of 75-100+ yard shooting and very little under that (unless it's feeder type hunting etc) then the Rico 384 is a heck of a good scope.

Jason

After reading your responses and watching the YouTube review i think it will work well for my needs. We shoot quite a few hogs at around 50 yds but we also shoot a lot at 100 or more. And lots of coyotes at farther ranges. I placed an order this morning.

Comment

After reading your responses and watching the YouTube review i think it will work well for my needs. We shoot quite a few hogs at around 50 yds but we also shoot a lot at 100 or more. And lots of coyotes at farther ranges. I placed an order this morning.
                            Awesome, glad the video helped too. If you bought it from Outdoor Legacy, thank you!

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by GregO View Post

Super Hogster 101 - YouTube
                              GREAT Video!! I was literally laughing out loud when the video started because it's SO true. I'm just glad they don't ask me to write manuals....they'd be longer than the Bible and that would just us through unboxing, putting batteries in and turning it on. I'm going to send people this video because it's awesome. I know that it takes a very long time and a lot of work to make those, excellent job. Oh and I want to come play craps!lol

Jason

Comment

You should have bought it 2 weeks ago before all the corn came up!!

Comment

Working...
                                X