The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On this installment of The Late Night Vision Show, Hans and Jason do something they’ve never done before; review 3 thermal optics in one episode! This week t...

A review on the new AGM Taipan handheld monoculars. Looks like a decent lower cost monocular.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      The unit we've been using is a Pulsar Trail XQ38. What is the most comparable current unit to that one?
      Thermion XQ38 is THE replacement for the Trail XQ38.

The Bering Super Hogster is a comparable model but with noticeably more magnification and a narrow FOV but it's a great optic with an excellent image quality.

Just to be clear, because there is often confusion, the AGM Rattler TS25 and TS35 are great optics for the money but they are NOT replacements for the Super Hogster or the XQ38. They are a bargain at $1,995-$2,495 but they do not compete toe to toe to the Super Hogster nor the Trail/Thermion XQ38, nor were they designed to. AGM will be releasing a scope later this year in the $3,000-ish price range that will compete with those models. I love the Rattlers for what they are but they are replacements for the (discontinued) Pulsar Core RXQ30V and competitor to the Bering Hogster 25/35.

Edit: Lip I just saw your post about the Rattlers and XQ38 now, sorry my comments were directed at you at all. But there is significant confusion on how the Rattlers stack up and I field a lot of calls in a day with people thinking the Rattlers are in a class above where they really are. I just want to be sure people understand where they line up in side by side comparisons.

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
      Jason, you don’t want that junky Iray. I’ll trade you even for my XG50....it even comes with a cool custom outdoor legacy adm qd
      Haha!!! You do have one of those holy grail mounts, so it's worth extra!
      Last edited by Outdoor Legacy; 03-04-2021, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
        Very well said, especially the part about how you never hear from the vast majority of folks that dont have an issue but the few that do make it seem worse than it actually is. Sounds like these guys are not going to have a hard time selling any scopes anyhow lol.

Jason, I am going to put you on the spot. In your opinion which optic has the best image quality on an average night? I know average is different from place to place but a night where it isnt the worst or best conditions. I would assume it would still be one of the N Vision scopes but wanted to hear your opinion.
        Yes sir, good question and good assumption. If you take money out of it, I do not believe you can beat the image quality of the N-Vision Halo on an average night stacked up against another scope available from a consumer hunting optic manufacturer. The Nox 35 and Halo-X 35, Halo LR, Halo-X 50 and Halo XRF should all have the same image quality as the guts and lens are identical. The Halo LR is getting the same lens upgrade as the Halo-X models are.

Comment

Solid info, thank you all!

Do you do trade ins? Or I guess what I'm asking is, when the backordered items start to ship, do you think any of the Trail xq38s will become available when someone upgrades?

I really like the chasis of the Trail better, especially since that's what we've been using, and the guys I hunt with all have that model. It would be easier not having to worry about which one we scan with, and which one we shoot with, and having different controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
            Thermion XQ38 is THE replacement for the Trail XQ38.

The Bering Super Hogster is a comparable model but with noticeably more magnification and a narrow FOV but it's a great optic with an excellent image quality.

Just to be clear, because there is often confusion, the AGM Rattler TS25 and TS35 are great optics for the money but they are NOT replacements for the Super Hogster or the XQ38. They are a bargain at $1,995-$2,495 but they do not compete toe to toe to the Super Hogster nor the Trail/Thermion XQ38, nor were they designed to. AGM will be releasing a scope later this year in the $3,000-ish price range that will compete with those models. I love the Rattlers for what they are but they are replacements for the (discontinued) Pulsar Core RXQ30V and competitor to the Bering Hogster 25/35.

Edit: Lip I just saw your post about the Rattlers and XQ38 now, sorry my comments were directed at you at all. But there is significant confusion on how the Rattlers stack up and I field a lot of calls in a day with people thinking the Rattlers are in a class above where they really are. I just want to be sure people understand where they line up in side by side comparisons.

Haha!!! You do have one of those holy grail mounts, so it's worth extra!
            Good point Jason on the Super Hogster being a closer replacement. If you’d hurry up and ship my Rattler, I’d be able to give an educated opinion of the differences since I hunted with the XQ38 for 3 years. [emoji16]

Dale, I wouldn’t ignore the Super Hogster as an option. I’ve thought seriously about going up to a Super Hogster instead of a Rattler for my scanner. The Taipans Jason and Hans just reviewed appear to be worth considering as well if you’re looking for a dedicated scanner.

Comment

Do you do trade ins? Or I guess what I'm asking is, when the backordered items start to ship, do you think any of the Trail xq38s will become available when someone upgrades?

I really like the chasis of the Trail better, especially since that's what we've been using, and the guys I hunt with all have that model. It would be easier not having to worry about which one we scan with, and which one we shoot with, and having different controls.
              The trail series has been discontinued. Like I mentioned earlier in a prior post, shop for what you want and you will find something for cheaper when everyone else is sitting at home on a waiting list. It's like shopping for a car. Dont go to the nearest dealer and be at their mercy because they make you feel like you don't have options. If you are set on the trail then get one used. You may not like the thermion at first glance but after hunting with 2 thermion xq38s I am very happy. I would have been very unhappy buying a base thermal. Likewise, I think you will be unhappy if you start with nv and will be wanting a thermal soon after running nv. Go big or go home

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                The trail series has been discontinued. Like I mentioned earlier in a prior post, shop for what you want and you will find something for cheaper when everyone else is sitting at home on a waiting list. It's like shopping for a car. Dont go to the nearest dealer and be at their mercy because they make you feel like you don't have options. If you are set on the trail then get one used. You may not like the thermion at first glance but after hunting with 2 thermion xq38s I am very happy. I would have been very unhappy buying a base thermal. Likewise, I think you will be unhappy if you start with nv and will be wanting a thermal soon after running nv. Go big or go home
                Pretty well said!

See it all the time like mentioned before. Buy 1 then flip it and upgrade again. Non stop process

GO BIG OR GO HOME, as you eventually will go big if your serious about it. Just don't have to keep flipping scopes, losing money, upgrading to the final product to do it

Comment

Dale, look at the XP50. I bought one in December and it is bad arse. Been laying stuff down every weekend. May have been some luck involved but popped two coyotes at 250 several weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                    Yeah, I wouldn't be happy with anything less at this point. The super hogster would be fine, but for another hunnerd bucks, I'll go with the XQ38....I aint doin this twice.

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't be happy with anything less at this point. The super hogster would be fine, but for another hunnerd bucks, I'll go with the XQ38....I aint doin this twice.

Another $300 if you want quick attach. SH comes with one. I’m hopefully going Thermion 2 XQ38 for my scope. XP50 would be nice but I can’t justify the price for my situation. I was happy with the Trail but wanted newer electronics.
                      Last edited by Lip; 03-04-2021, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Dale, There are some groups on Facebook for buying and selling thermals. I just bought a Rattler 25 from guy that has a business in McKinney I found on there. Supposed to be in Monday. Lots of used on there as well.

Comment

The Trail XQ38 was discontinued in December of 2018 and the last units were produced in early 2019. There are tons of them out there in people's hands but not that many turning over. We take trade-ins and we sell used scopes from time to time but right now, thermals are like ammo. New or used, they bring top dollar and don't last long.

Buying used is an excellent idea IF you get a good scope, well taken care of it's got warranty left and you get the original receipt from when it was first bought. (That still doesn't "guarantee" you get a warranty but that's a longer discussion) If you don't get a warranty or not much warranty, buy it cheap. Last comment on the warranty....the old line of "Full warranty, because I never registered it" is a lie and will end with tears down the road one day.lol

The mistake that you don't want to make is, overpaying for a used scope because it's "the" one you want or because you don't want to wait. I talk to people every day who are way over paying for used scopes because they don't want to wait on a new one or continue to search for a deal on a used one. I get it, everyone wants to go hunting this weekend but buying a 1-2 year old scope and paying over 80% of the new value is pretty crazy to me.

Here is where you go from here and I'm really being serious here.

1) Decide on a scope model that you want or maybe 2 models at most.

2) Don't settle for something else and don't be easily talked into another model unless the reasons are compelling. ("I can get it today" is not compelling enough)

3) If is a new model and its back ordered and there is a wait, get on a back order list and patiently wait.

4) If it's a discontinued model or a current model that you want to buy used, decide what you're willing to pay and hold to that number. Start beating the bushes for it. Search every classified section, FB buy/sell group etc and be prepared to wait until you find a good deal on it and when you find it, don't hesitate, snatch it up.

At the end of the day thermals are like ammo right now and have been for over 12 months. You can't just call up a dealer and buy the thermal scope you want right off the shelf any more than you can walk into Academy and buy 1,000 rounds of 9mm and 6.5 Grendel ammo off the shelf for dirt cheap prices. The thermal market will eventually settle down but I don't think it's going to be too much sooner than the ammo market does.

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                            The Trail XQ38 was discontinued in December of 2018 and the last units were produced in early 2019. There are tons of them out there in people's hands but not that many turning over. We take trade-ins and we sell used scopes from time to time but right now, thermals are like ammo. New or used, they bring top dollar and don't last long.

Buying used is an excellent idea IF you get a good scope, well taken care of it's got warranty left and you get the original receipt from when it was first bought. (That still doesn't "guarantee" you get a warranty but that's a longer discussion) If you don't get a warranty or not much warranty, buy it cheap. Last comment on the warranty....the old line of "Full warranty, because I never registered it" is a lie and will end with tears down the road one day.lol

The mistake that you don't want to make is, overpaying for a used scope because it's "the" one you want or because you don't want to wait. I talk to people every day who are way over paying for used scopes because they don't want to wait on a new one or continue to search for a deal on a used one. I get it, everyone wants to go hunting this weekend but buying a 1-2 year old scope and paying over 80% of the new value is pretty crazy to me.

Here is where you go from here and I'm really being serious here.

1) Decide on a scope model that you want or maybe 2 models at most.

2) Don't settle for something else and don't be easily talked into another model unless the reasons are compelling. ("I can get it today" is not compelling enough)

3) If is a new model and its back ordered and there is a wait, get on a back order list and patiently wait.

4) If it's a discontinued model or a current model that you want to buy used, decide what you're willing to pay and hold to that number. Start beating the bushes for it. Search every classified section, FB buy/sell group etc and be prepared to wait until you find a good deal on it and when you find it, don't hesitate, snatch it up.

At the end of the day thermals are like ammo right now and have been for over 12 months. You can't just call up a dealer and buy the thermal scope you want right off the shelf any more than you can walk into Academy and buy 1,000 rounds of 9mm and 6.5 Grendel ammo off the shelf for dirt cheap prices. The thermal market will eventually settle down but I don't think it's going to be too much sooner than the ammo market does.
                            Awesome info and VERY VERY WELL SAID!!!!

Comment

Seen a Pulsar Thermion XP50 this weekend. Buddy was using his buddies. His buddy had the settings/brightness all jacked up. No detail in the background.

As we hunted that night, he played with it and fixed it. It looked pretty good IMO. Not in the same category of a Trijicon Reap, BUT for $5000 or less it was pretty good. I like it better then the Trail series

Comment

9 pigs Thursday, 7 on Saturday, 8 last night. 24 total in the last 4 days. Pic for Jason.

Comment

Working...
                                X