Changes to NR licenses in NM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes to NR licenses in NM

Some interesting reading here for those that hunt NM.
    Looks like they want to do away with outfitter set asides for drawing NR licenses.

You'll have to go down into pages 120ish and 237 to read the text.

Writing is on the wall folks, residents all over the west want a bigger share of their states licenses.

Originally posted by wytex View Post
    Looks like they want to do away with outfitter set asides for drawing NR licenses.

Writing is on the wall folks, residents all over the west want a bigger share of their states licenses.
    I get both sides of the argument but all these states are just shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to stimulating local economies and wildlife funding.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post

Guide, outfitter and landowner welfare has been a major problem that has needed to be addressed for a long time now.

Comment

Looks like it will just be 90% to residents and 10% to NR (up from 6%). and take away the outfitter pool (residents can draw from this also). I'm glad their getting rid of the outfitter pool, but the selfish side of me wishes NR would get more, but I get it.

Comment

Technically, its better for a NR DIY hunter than today where you only get 6% of hunt code and no fractional tags. Ie if there arent 17 tags for a hunt code, a NR can not draw that tag. Residents are already getting more than 84% allotment of total species tags due to that rule.

Im glad to see a state standing up to the outfitters (ie the opposite of Montana). Its still BS when considering the amount of federal public lands being used across the West for local hunters. But wildlife is managed at the state level who protect their constituents. I feel like at some point folks will say why am I sending my federal tax dollars to manage this land? Why doesnt the state start paying for it? But law of supply and demand means there's always enough NRs willing to apply and pay for the tag.

Comment

Originally posted by tex8569 View Post
            Im glad to see a state standing up to the outfitters (ie the opposite of Montana). Its still BS when considering the amount of federal public lands being used across the West for local hunters. But wildlife is managed at the state level who protect their constituents. I feel like at some point folks will say why am I sending my federal tax dollars to manage this land? Why doesnt the state start paying for it? But law of supply and demand means there's always enough NRs willing to apply and pay for the tag.
            Very true, But those federal lands are not there for the purpose of big game hunting. You can still go out an hike, backpack, fish, grouse/small game, hunt, scout, along with countless other recreational and commercial interests.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
              Guide, outfitter and landowner welfare has been a major problem that has needed to be addressed for a long time now.
              At same time in NM, those unit wide tags open up a lot of access to private and public blocked by that private. Catch 20/20
              Last edited by Texans42; 02-02-2021, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                I get both sides of the argument but all these states are just shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to stimulating local economies and wildlife funding.
                I feel like there will be a point that NRs will say too much, in fees and tag cuts, but it's not near there yet. Apps are way up and as for local economies. we have plenty of tourists and non hunting visitors. They contribute millions to our county.

Wildlife funding could very well become an issue but only when NR apps and fees drop.

Comment

This would be huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
                    Looks like it will just be 90% to residents and 10% to NR (up from 6%). and take away the outfitter pool (residents can draw from this also). I'm glad their getting rid of the outfitter pool, but the selfish side of me wishes NR would get more, but I get it.
                    I’m in this boat...

Comment

It's an additional screwing for NR. Especially if they also do away with Unit wide tags.

You may think it's going up to 10%, but you are losing 4-5% what was essentially NR tags (16% =NR TAGS)to this residents. You will have also 1000’s of more applications in the NR POOL that was in the outfitter pool. Odds will go way down.

Residents to outfitter pool was insignificant, you have better odds 99% in the res pool
                      Last edited by Texans42; 02-02-2021, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                        It's an additional screwing for NR. Especially if they also do away with Unit wide tags.

You may think it's going up to 10%, but you are losing 4-5% what was essentially NR tags (16% =NR TAGS)to this residents. You will have also 1000’s of more applications in the NR POOL that was in the outfitter pool. Odds will go way down.

Residents to outfitter pool was insignificant, you have better odds 99% in the res pool
                        I never said NR weren't getting screwed. Just saying what would change. It would definitely lower odds of being drawn. I wish I could draw NM more but if I was a resident who couldn't draw my home state I would be ****** too. As someone said earlier states are responsible for managing wildlife within their borders for the trust and benefit of their resident. We are fortunate we can hunt as NRs.

I wish they would limit unit wide LO tags and put limits on who landowners can sell too. Then put more of those tags back in the main pool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

The unit wide tags are limited. They are given to smaller LO and it opens their land to general public.

Some of those tags unlock a lot of public access. There is more Greater good to hunters then just 4-5 bull tags per unit that will most likely go to residents anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                            The unit wide tags are limited. They are given to smaller LO and it opens their land to general public.

Some of those tags unlock a lot of public access. There is more Greater good to hunters then just 4-5 bull tags per unit that will most likely go to residents anyway

Not necessarily just small LO’s get unit wide tags.

For folks that don’t want to pay an outfitter, doing away with the outfitter pool is huge. The state will make more money off of applications, and it could honestly help outfitters in the grand scheme of things. More tags draw by NR means more potential clients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very true, But those federal lands are not there for the purpose of big game hunting. You can still go out an hike, backpack, fish, grouse/small game, hunt, scout, along with countless other recreational and commercial interests.
                              Which is why all those people should be paying an extra tax, like us hunters do on hunting related items, to enjoy their hobbies. It's BS that we pay into it, yet they reap the rewards.

Then again, that's how the whole federal government is set up. So maybe it's normal.

Comment

Working...
                              X