Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polaris-Light Bar install- How to wire to turn on ONLY w/key on????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polaris-Light Bar install- How to wire to turn on ONLY w/key on????

I just bought a 2021 Polaris Ranger Crew 1000 and I added a large LED light bar that came with a wiring harness w/relay. I did the install as directed and it works fine but it can be turn on even with the key in the off position. The on/off rocker switch lights up only when the key is on and I would like the light bar to only work when key is in the on position. This will keep the lights from being left on or accidentally being turned on in the daytime and run the battery down.

Can someone explain or direct me to a YouTube video on how to wire light bar to work with the key?

Thanks

Tap into the hot wire on the existing (stock) lights to run your switch for the new light bar. Assuming those lights only work when vehicle on. I don't know polaris's

Comment

The bus bar under the hood has 3 wires. One is on with the key. One is on all the time and one is the ground. Did mine a year ago, 2019 Ranger. But if I remember. Too much draw on the one that goes to the key will cause you problems.

Comment

The bus bar on the newer polaris models does have the middle wire to provide power only when the key is on but only for very low voltage lights on your dash, or rocker switch. I don't think it was intended to run the full power it takes to light up the light bar. All the YouTube videos I have seen warn not to use the 10amp middle wire on the bus bar connectors or it will blow fuses.

Hooking to the stock lights might work but I want to operate my light bar without the main lights on.

Still looking for a solution from the Green Screen!

Comment

You can install a relay into the main power wire that uses the low amp switch wire to close. Look up bosch relays for diagram.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Joe H; 11-13-2020, 06:55 PM.

Comment

I just tapped into a wire that is hot with the key on so if you are using the light a turn the key off the light bar goes off . Has worked like that for four years

Comment

You really need a relay and either a fuse block (if you ever plan on adding more lights) or an inline fuse.

1st relay
              86 Key on power
              30 directly to battery +
              85 Ground
              87 to fuse block bus bar

This will provide power to all the fuse locations in the fuse block. There is also a ground bus bar in the fuse block that you will connect directly back to the battery negative and you can tie in to it for your accessories negatives.

Depending on the switch you can pigtail your positives to both run the light relay and light up the switch only with the key on. Your positive come from the same fuse in the fuse block. Your negative (for the switch lights) comes from the fuse block neg bus bar. Then you go from the NO pin on the switch to the light bar. Light bar neg goes back to the neg bus bar in fuse block.

If its a light bar drawing a lot of power, you may need to have your switch operate another relay so as no to heat the switch up too much.

Comment

The last lights hooked up on a Polaris, I used the factory plug. I think there are three of them mounted under the hood. We just bought the matching plug, Plugged it into the the outlet and then tied in our relay and switch. That plug I'm talking about, has a constant hot that tied to the power of the relay. A switched hot that went to the switch that controls the relay. A ground that is used to light the LED on the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
                  You can install a relay into the main power wire that uses the low amp switch wire to close. Look up bosch relays for diagram.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
                  Add a relay. Use your key switch power for the coil on the relay. Then pull a hot from the other terminal and land on NO contacts on relay.

Comment

Another option is just putting a battery kill switch, this would kill all power completely. This leaves you the option to use the light bar with the key off, as well being a theft deterent. They are LED lights so the volt draw is minimum with a hot battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefecinco View Post
                      The bus bar under the hood has 3 wires. One is on with the key. One is on all the time and one is the ground. Did mine a year ago, 2019 Ranger. But if I remember. Too much draw on the one that goes to the key will cause you problems.
                      This but use the power source to activate a relay instead of carrying full load of lights.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
                        Another option is just putting a battery kill switch, this would kill all power completely. This leaves you the option to use the light bar with the key off, as well being a theft deterent. They are LED lights so the volt draw is minimum with a hot battery.
                        This is what I've done to all my ATV's & golf cart. It keeps anything from inadvertently being left on & draining the battery.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dbrock63 View Post
                          The bus bar on the newer polaris models does have the middle wire to provide power only when the key is on but only for very low voltage lights on your dash, or rocker switch. I don't think it was intended to run the full power it takes to light up the light bar. All the YouTube videos I have seen warn not to use the 10amp middle wire on the bus bar connectors or it will blow fuses.

Hooking to the stock lights might work but I want to operate my light bar without the main lights on.

Still looking for a solution from the Green Screen!
                          Wire the relay to that wire. Not the full power

Comment

I bought the plugs with the pig tails that plug in to to the polaris pulse bars under the hood. Really simple. One wire is ground, one is keyed power and the other is constant power. Cap and stowed the constant power wire. Ran my light bars with an inline fuse and they work like they're supposed to. The pulse bar has like a 25amp circuit and light bars barely draw any at all.

Comment

Looks to me I would just hire JustinJ to come do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X