Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some Austin advice for tomorrow

Been slammed at work, so of course logistics took a back seat-

I'm heading to Austin tomorrow afternoon. I have a meeting at Camp Mabry Thursday morning.

Looking for a close place to stay and a good place to have dinner.

I haven't been there in about 4yrs.

Any recs are appreciated!

Watch out for all the homeless people! My wife and I were there 2 weeks ago and it’s disgusting down town.

Comment

Originally posted by Walding1989 View Post
      Watch out for all the homeless people! My wife and I were there 2 weeks ago and it’s disgusting down town.
      Great!...but thanks for the warning.

Comment

DoubleTree by Hilton Austin Northwest Arboretum

Hopdoddy Burger Bar - on Anderson Lane; near the hotel.

I have a better list for where to go in Austin on the work computer. Will post up in the AM tomorrow.

Who are you meeting with? Shoot me a PM. Used to work there.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post

I have a better list for where to go in Austin on the work computer. Will post up in the AM tomorrow.

PM Sent.

Comment

I'm looking at the AT&T Conference Center at UT...just because it looks like there are a lot of landmarks to make a nice jogging path around.

Comment

Just go down to South Congress, park and walk. Let your nose tell you where to eat. If not raining there is a taco joint with a nice beer garden that will have live music pretty much every night. Famous ice cream and pizza joint down there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Stay in the Domain (preferable) or Gateway area off (1) Mopac. Dont **** around down south. Restaurants, top golf, walnut creek, balcones park, etc. If you want grocer, whole foods is on the north end. Plenty of running room. Straight drop south to Mabry. Most Calitexicans have learned to go fast(er) or get the f over...commute aint any worse than any other big city.
                Last edited by Briar Friar; 04-27-2021, 09:31 PM. Reason: NoBigCommuteSpake

Comment

While the AT&T Conference Center is nice, and is considered upscale as far as conference center/meeting facilities go, it still has a bit of a conference center vibe to me which felt like lipstick on a pig, IMHO. Additionally, there is quite a bit of construction going on across the street as the state continues work on it’s long term project to enhance the Capitol Complex. This means that many sidewalks are closed to pedestrian traffic which may make getting to those points of interest for your run difficult if not untenable.

Now, on the other hand, if you’re like me and you like to treat yourself a little when you travel, just a few blocks west of AT&T Conf Ctr—and worlds away!—is Hotel Ella and it’s highly rated restaurant, Goodall’s. Hotel Ella is a historic turn-of-the-20th-century home on what used to be called Judges Hill. (There’s a story that relates this history and it’s significance to Austin’s history on their website.) In terms of a unique (and entirely local) dining experience, Goodall’s touts it’s own take on “comfort food” that any is thing but. Also, great bar with their own mixologist on staff. Bar is situated to take advantage of their award winning grounds, which are a great place to wander with cocktail in hand. Hotel Ella and Goodalls are more than just “nice” accommodations, they are an experience for the senses.

And finally, if you absolutely insist upon running, a few blocks further west is the Shoal Creek hike-and-bike trail. As a previous member posted, since Austin’s city council repealed the ordinance banning camping in public spaces a few years ago, homeless people have flocked to Austin from far and wide and “tent cities” they have erecty are everywhere, most especially in public parks and trails. (I always carry when I go running.)

As far as convenience to Camp Mabry, Hotel Ella is just east of Mopac on 19th Street (aka MLK) and Camp Mabry is right on Mopac at the 35th Street exit. A quick and easy car ride, even if traffic is crazy. Note, too, that, unlike most other military installations, Camp Mabry is an “open” base, meaning you can have a firearm in your possession when you’re there. If you’re like my family, we carry a couple of pistols when we travel. No need to leave yours in your hotel room when you’re not there. There are some rules and considerations that must be followed (I believe, for example, that you have to declare any weapons you have with the guards at the gate), but they are not burdensome, though I don’t remember them all.

In the event your interest in Hotel Ella is piqued as a result of this rambling missive, I checked their website and it appears they have availability for tomorrow night. As an added bonus, their rates are lower than I’ve ever seen them!

Good luck with your accommodations, whatever you decide, and if there’s anything you need help with while you’re in town, I’m sure any one of us is just a phone call away.

Comment

Awesome feedback y'all. I'm about to leave the ranch, lunch with the kids, haircut and get on my way so I can enjoy an evening exploring Austin. Checking out Hotel Ella as well.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post

please post, going there this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                        Stay in the Domain (preferable) or Gateway area off (1) Mopac. Dont **** around down south. Restaurants, top golf, walnut creek, balcones park, etc. If you want grocer, whole foods is on the north end. Plenty of running room. Straight drop south to Mabry. Most Calitexicans have learned to go fast(er) or get the f over...commute aint any worse than any other big city.
                        South is much better than north.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Eddie V’s at the arboretum for dinner

Comment

So I went with the AT&T Hotel and Conference Center on the TU campus. Great hotel, nice hotel restaurant called the Gabriel. Limited menu, but the steak was good. I had a nice hour run around the campus which was fun. Found a picture of my grandfather and his brother in Gregory gym from 1941. I'll post a pic.

Mabry tomorrow.

Comment

Grandfather and great uncle at UT in 1941

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1be9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	24649895

Comment

Working...
                              X