No announcement yet.

Pit Boss help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1150 pro series pit boss will read about 25 degrees difference on the inside. The smoke stack side will be 25 degrees cooler than the pellet box side. Still love it though.

Comment

My Pit Boss runs hotter than the digital indicator shows too. I just ordered that probe mentioned above so I will replace the stock probe and see how it does.

Comment

Did you cook it directly over the fire/sear plate or did you set it off to the side?

My PB cooks hotter over the sear plate so I never slow cook over the top of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
          Did you cook it directly over the fire/sear plate or did you set it off to the side?

My PB cooks hotter over the sear plate so I never slow cook over the top of it.
          I was wondering about that. And yes, I was right in the middle.

Comment

The spots I have to be careful of on my Pit Boss are around the edges where the heat comes up around the deflector plate. Those and dead center are the worst hot spots in mine.

Usually mine finishes up pretty close to when I think it will but you just never know. On my Pit Boss I have had a pork butt and a brisket, on separate occasions, finish way fast. Hours ahead of when they should have. And I have had a brisket that I thought was never going to get done that went ridiculously long. But usually it will be pretty close to what you'd expect.

Comment

I have the same issue, I started to place my meats on the second rack and have a large drip pan with water under it, this has help out a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I found that cooking any of the large cuts (pork butt, brisket, etc) works WAY better for me if I can put them on the top rack and not on the primary grate.

Comment

Everything I've cooked on mine has been stellar & finished in the appropriate time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Vito79 View Post
                    I have the same issue, I started to place my meats on the second rack and have a large drip pan with water under it, this has help out a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Originally posted by kck View Post
                    I found that cooking any of the large cuts (pork butt, brisket, etc) works WAY better for me if I can put them on the top rack and not on the primary grate.
                    This has crossed my mind also.

Comment

Mine was about 30 degrees low. I'll look into the replacement of call Bit Poss.

I have a Igrill with 4 ports that I use now.

Comment

Did you use an internal probe? I know it doesn't take long for pork on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
                          Did you use an internal probe? I know it doesn't take long for pork on mine.
                          I used the one that is built into the control, my digital probe I already had and my wifes round needle type that is state certified. All 3 were within 2 degrees of each other.

Comment

Mine tends to run a little hotter than the setting in the neighborhood of 15 - 20 degrees. Also think there are some hot spots but never fill the rack up either. I did some ribs yesterday and they were a little overcooked too. I usually cook ribs on time and feel. I am beginning to think it has more to do with forced convection inside the unit similar to a convection oven is why things are getting done a little faster. Could be a combination of some radiant heat as well since the heat source is alot closer than an egg or even an offset. I tend to set it lower than i normally would and usually happy with the result.

Comment

Sounds like most of these units are direct heat. I would take a grate reading instead of a lid reading to see what you actual temp is.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
                                I have a pit boss and it does run a little warmer than the setting.
                                Absolutely. The diffuser almost acts like a radiator and will send heat, even though it’s indirect.

I’ve been running a 1000SC2 (Academy exclusive I believe) for just under a year. Usually have it fired up both days on the weekend and at least once during the week. There’s a bit of a learning curve but once you figure it out, you’ll love it.

I generally set my temp dial for 25° under what I want to cook at when comparing to a stick burner or charcoal. I did fajitas yesterday in fact, had several neighbors come by and they were raving about them.

Comment

Working...
                                X