The bucks love it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
    Well you were correct sir. We have an old abandoned pen with trough we used for protein about 2 years ago with no success. I bought the pellet form sweet feed and stuck a camera on it. I dumped it on the ground just to see what would happen. September 26 day. Sept 26 night I had a doe in there. Pen is grown up. I kept looking through pictures And low and behold 2 shooter bucks were in there multiple times a night. At one point I had 5 does in there. No stand yet and mainly night time pics. Day pics of just a few does. Super excited and put another 50 pounds out not pellet form yesterday. Thanks to all who posted. I will try to get pics from my computer when I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's great. I had multiple bucks of different ages still hitting my trough at the same time this weekend. They are usually split up by now but are still eating together. I'm still going through 100-150lbs per week at my main spot.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
      We built a sweet feed trough and put it out a month ago. Until a few days ago nothing touched it - deer were milling around picking up corn but had no interest in the sweet feed. Last weekend I mixed some in with the corn on the ground and now they hit it all night like fat kids at a pizza buffet.
      Yep. It took mine a couple weeks to try it initially, but then there was no slowing them down once they got a taste.

Comment

I put it out this last Saturday and that evening the deer were on it like crazy. they have been out there every evening and morning since. A little bit goes a long ways for bringing them in.
        This young buck has been hitting it the hardest.
        Attached Files

Comment

I’m building my second trough for new property. The height of the trough is 24”. This height allows fawns to eat out of it as well.

Comment

I have been mixing sweet feed with dry all stock pellets in a gravity feeder. It doesn’t stop it up as bad

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
              Good idea but that would never work on our place. I can't even feed protein anymore. We have 40" panels, but as soon as the cattle smell protein in the feeder, they jump it like nothing (usually damaging the panels in the process) to get to it. Tried everything, but only option was to stop feeding. They would have that sweet feed emptied in a day lol.
              Yep, we had 60" panels and they showed up before I even finished putting the dang sweet feed in the trough.

Comment

Well I built a trough feeder and put some sweet feed in it. Put it out about 2 weeks ago but they are leaving it alone. Gonna mix some corn in next time I’m out there , maybe that will get them started.

Comment

Well I guess Mauriceville deer don’t care for it. Lol. Put some out almost 3 Weeks ago and then mixed in a little corn. It turned into one big cake like texture and starting to grow mold.

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
                    Well I guess Mauriceville deer don’t care for it. Lol. Put some out almost 3 Weeks ago and then mixed in a little corn. It turned into one big cake like texture and starting to grow mold.
                    Dang, hate to hear that. I had the same thing happen with rice bran on my place. They won't touch it. They are still eating about 100-150lbs of sweet feed in about 5 days on my place. I figured it would slow down but we have no acorns on our place this year.
                    Last edited by Pineywoods; 11-02-2021, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky T View Post
                        Raccoons???

I bet you would have more coons than van camps got pork n beans. At least at my place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X