Half a pig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half a pig?

Has anyone ever smoked a half pig on a bbq pit? Considered roasting one in-ground, but that seems like a pain in the axe and I have a big pit I can use.

Do I just order "half a pig" from a local butcher?

You can order one and you can smoke it. I’ve done dozens of them whole, half, quartered. They all are made out of pork.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      You can order one and you can smoke it. I’ve done dozens of them whole, half, quartered. They all are made out of pork.

What’s a good size? Under 100#?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Start small and work your way up to a bigger size after you know what you are doing. I prefer 40-60 pounders.

Comment

Your local School AG Students may have one for sale? Fed well and put some money in their pocket

Comment

Small ones are excellent halved out on a pit. We cut them down the spine with a sawzall. It's effortless.

Comment

If your pit is big enough, I just butterfly them. They are awesome. I’ve never bought a domesticated pig, but bet a butcher would sell you half of one.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                If your pit is big enough, I just butterfly them. They are awesome. I’ve never bought a domesticated pig, but bet a butcher would sell you half of one.
                Pro move right there, tacos el pastor.👍🏻. Looks great.

Comment

I tried LR meat market in Belton and they claimed their vendors were sold out. I'll keep poking around. Surely I'll be able to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                    Start small and work your way up to a bigger size after you know what you are doing. I prefer 40-60 pounders.

My preferred size as well. I had good results brining mine before smoking. You might look into that if you have a large enough ice chest.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
                      I tried LR meat market in Belton and they claimed their vendors were sold out. I'll keep poking around. Surely I'll be able to find one.

Call
                      Best Quality Meat in Temple
                      Cheezy’s in Belton
                      Prairie Dell Meats just south of you

One of those three should have what you’re looking for or get access to it.

Comment

Try Westphalia meat market I use them

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
                          What’s a good size? Under 100#?

Yes 40-60 is the perfect smoking size

Comment

I have always wanted to smoke a small wild pig or 1/2 if it is a little larger. But I would like to scrape it and leave the hide on. I did this with a domestic pig when I was in college. Turned out great. The hide turned out crispy and peeled off.

Comment

I have butterflied them like RR314 has pics posted of and they have turned out amazing

Comment

Working...
                              X