2022 AZ Javalina/Coues Archery sorta live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2022 AZ Javalina/Coues Archery sorta live

Well. Got here at 1 am Texas time. Out for Javi tomorrow and Saturday. All by myself this year. I hired a guide for Coues simply because I've never hunted 1 on 1with a big game guide. The outfitter is taking me himself so I must be special. Young'un said no, it's because I'm old and "special" and the outfitter didn't want me dying on one of his guides. Hmm. Anyway, the first two days I'm chasing Javi alone in the Whetstones. If I don't see anything I'll go over to the Santa Ritas Saturday. I know a couple spots where they come through like clockwork. Pictures when I can.

No ducks were harmed in this post. But I did see a few in west Texas.

Good luck!! Keep us posted. What town are you staying in?

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Awesome, good luck!!!!

Comment

Not to steal your thread but I'm headed out today to try and find some mule deer in AZ. Good Luck to you sir

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Best of luck to you and Boone11.

Rwc

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Best wishes!��

Comment

Tuned In! Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Boone11 View Post
                      Not to steal your thread but I'm headed out today to try and find some mule deer in AZ. Good Luck to you sir
                      Pm me where you'll be. I suspect you'll be north of where I will.

Comment

No luck today but I spent most of the day acclimating and glassing. My first choices were taken so I went to the West side of the Whetstones. Not much activity and they were getting ready for a Brittany field trial. Shot across the road to the Santa Ritas. Lots of bird hunters out. Glassed the usual suspects but by the time I got there I was pretty sure the herds had already moved through. Went to Tucson to get the payment for the guide and my deer tag. All the places I checked were out of tags. I was getting a little desperate so went to sportsman's warehouse up near Phoenix. Got the tag and as long as I don't get robbed between now and Sun I'm good to go. Guide said be ready for 40 to 50 yard shots. I'm good at 40 but get wobbly after that. I'll hunt the east side of the Whetstones in the morning and the run the final tape for my sight with the broadheads on out to 60 yards. Also need to practice shooting uphill. That's a shot we don't have in Weatherford. I got pictures of the two mountain ranges. Hopefully I can get something on the phonescope and post them tomorrow. Usual readers will know not to expect much. But I'm trying to get better. If some of you listen to Jay Scott's podcast you've heard of the guide. His name is Duane Adams. I'm stoked to hunt with him. My main goal is to learn stuff. Teach an old fart how to fish type scenario. I think the young'uns have a going bet on when I bonk out. One picked day one and the other picked Day 2. That's not counting Javi. That's lazy man's hunting.

I was surprised the elevation affected me as much as it did. I never got tired or bonked but I did notice I was breathing heavier than normal. I usually don't have that happen until 6 to 7k. Getting old rucks socks.

Comment

Glassed the east side of the Whetstones today. It was a little crowded and since I was hunting Javi I tried to stay out of everyone's way. Coues your looking up at the north slopes Javi you want to be up on the slope looking down. Hunted till about 1 and headed for the motel in San Manuel. The road from the Whetstones to San Manuel is about 35 miles of dirt road. Not a bad road but there were a couple of humps I hit a little too fast and did some flying. Fun times. Tomorrow starts the Coues hunt so I expect to get some pictures of deers and other creatures.

Comment

Good luck today!

Comment

Good luck. Sounds like a challenging hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X