sprinkler/irrigation install question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in process of building a system and want to do it so as to not break any codes pertaining to the Pressure vacuum breaker. My property has a large elevation change and the top of the lawn will need several sprinkler heads that will likely end up 8-10 ft above the grade of the water feed/valves. Code states that the PVB needs to be 12 inches above the highest head. How can I achieve this without a 11ft tall pvc pipe loop for the PVB?

light blue is well/water tap where the sprinkler valves and controller will be

dark blue is planned heads for irrigation to lawn and they sit roughly 8-10 ft uphill
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kingranch; 10-21-2020, 06:50 AM.

As a state licensed licensed plumbing inspector I’d recommend you Install a double check valve or a RPZ instead of a PVB.

If your area won’t allow double check install the RPZ. Some want a high hazard back flow preventer like a PVB or RPZ. Some allow Double Checks.

PVB aren’t rated for any back pressure RPZ and Double Check are. 10ft elevation equals approximately 5lbs back pressure.

DC can be in a box under ground RPZ must be above ground but not above any heads.
    Last edited by TxKronik; 10-21-2020, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply just the kind I was looking for.
      So of those 2 which one would be the cheaper route? Double chk?

Comment

Double check is cheaper. What size line are you installing it on?

Comment

1 1/4 inch but was planning to downsize it to 1 or 3/4 at the valve

Comment

dont exceed 5' per second pipe size is dependant on flow

Comment

850 Bronze FNPT 1-in Double-Check Backflow Preventer https://www.lowes.com/pd/FEBCO-1-in-...-Valve/3406170

Comment

Here is the RPZ

Comment

Ok

On the double chk does that need to be buried in a box or should it be above ground like the PVB typically is and covered w insulation?

Thx for the help

Comment

It can be above ground. Just insulate it.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                      Ok

On the double chk does that need to be buried in a box or should it be above ground like the PVB typically is and covered w insulation?

Thx for the help

Your choice can be in a box below ground like your water meter or above ground and insulated.

Comment

TxKronik looks like he has this covered!

I agree on the Double Check in a valve box in the ground.

RPZ's are more likely to give issues down the road

Comment

Great information,

if you are self installing, you can go to the rain bird website, upload your property description map and they will send you a detailed irrigation design for free.

Comment

Double check will be cheapest/easiest. Just make sure your city/county allows it. Many areas are requiring RPZ for irrigation backflow protection now.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd-ty729 View Post
                              TxKronik looks like he has this covered!

I agree on the Double Check in a valve box in the ground.

RPZ's are more likely to give issues down the road
                              Yea I’m an irrigator but no need in saying things twice he’s got it covered I guess I’ll go back to work and try and earn my keep down here.

Comment

Working...
                              X