Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testing a New Wade Fishing YouTube Video Setup...Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing a New Wade Fishing YouTube Video Setup...Thoughts?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQeHpLd5psU&t=1s"]Wade Fishing Baffin - INSTA360 ONE X2 the perfect Action Cam? - YouTube[/ame]

I've tried multiple camera setups - GoPro head mount, chesty mount, painters pole with frog gig in the mud, etc.) while trying to self film wade fishing trips.

The most common method that I've seen is GoPro on the head or hat mount. That footage is typically hard to watch, as the fisherman quickly looks left, right, up down while catching a fish. I find it very distracting. Similarly, the chesty typically has a view of the reel and hand as the fish is being landed. I try to remember to elevate my hands and reel out of the way, but it's still not an ideal angle.

I tried wading with a pole that I would stick in the ground and then try to stay in the framed area while I waded, but that significantly limited my movement - and ultimately the time spent trying to set it up took away from the enjoyment and experience of the trip.

After watching a few 360 videos (mostly one wheels and snow boarding), and realizing that the Insta360 One X2 is now waterproof, I decided to pull the trigger on purchasing one in advance of a few upcoming trips.

This video was my first test. The camera was mounted on a selfie stick, which was placed in the rod holder of my styrofoam fishing ring. It was pretty unbalanced and with the wind and waves, I wasn't sure I would have anything usable. But I was fairly surprised with the stability of the resulting footage. I floated the ring/camera out while it was tethered to my wading belt at about 10 feet and then just fished. I didn't worry about whether the wind blew it in front of or behind me, or which direction the camera was facing. With a 360 degree view, I simply let it record everything, and then I was able to reframe it using my computer (or phone app) when I got back home.

The downside is that it adds an extra step to the editing workflow, but I'd rather take the extra time while I'm at home than spend valuable fishing time trying to set up the shot without knowing when or where the action might come.

Obviously I'm pretty excited about the possibilities with this camera after first use. I have several tweaks I want to make to the setup (including finding a more ideal floating platform), and I've already ordered extra batteries and memory cards to be able to capture full trips.

Of course, I have some ideas on making use of this camera for hunting, as well!

Let me know what you think about the footage, especially compared to other methods typically used?
    My Flickr Photos

Cool video!!

Comment

Great vid. Those 360 cams are amazing

Comment

very nice video.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          Great vid. Those 360 cams are amazing
          Thanks Kirby. I always thought they were a little "gimmicky", but I think it will work well for fishing videos.
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

I thought that was great Michael - a game-changer for sure. I'm with you on the unwatchability of some of those other filming methods - the herky-jerky gives me a headache

Comment

Nice camera. Digging it.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzaleziam View Post
                Nice camera. Digging it.
                Kayak camping trip??? Like last year? Would love to do one with my son. Could you give details where you put in and pull out? Do’s and dont’s. Pm me if there’s room for a father and son. Really appreciate it.

Comment

I like it, much better than on chest or the bill of a cap.

Comment

I can't really think of anything that would work better other than a dedicated camera man & who wants to do that vs catching fish

Good vid.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzaleziam View Post
                      Kayak camping trip??? Like last year? Would love to do one with my son. Could you give details where you put in and pull out? Do’s and dont’s. Pm me if there’s room for a father and son. Really appreciate it.
                      Still a little up in the air on this trip. Will depend on river flow at various locations.

We've done multiple trips on the San Marcos, Guadalupe, Medina, etc. One of my favorites is to put in on the Guadalupe under I10 in Comfort and paddle to the crossing just below Sisterdale. We've also done Sisterdale to FM474.

We've done the San Marcos from Staples to my friend's property near Fentress (there is a crossing a little ways down at Fentress.)

We did the Medina from Patterson Road down to Bandera.

All are great trips with fantastic scenery!
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Gave you some feedback on the channel. Great video and love the different angles you were able to get that like you said are wayyy too much work while you’re trying to fish.

Comment

Great video Michael, Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I like it .....well done..

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                              Gave you some feedback on the channel. Great video and love the different angles you were able to get that like you said are wayyy too much work while you’re trying to fish.

Thanks for the feedback...here and there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                              X