.308 168gr A-MAX for deer???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.308 168gr A-MAX for deer???

Can I get opinions on performance from people who have actually used this round on deer?

I picked up some on a trade. My gun LOVES 168gr. And I would like to know I can hunt with these.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Neck shoot them and you will be good. Holes are a little large....

Comment

I have had very good luck with them on deer and pigs

on some of the really big pigs I noticed i have not gotten complete pass throughs

some one smarter than me suggested I may want to go to a different bullet if I wanted to shooter larger or tougher skinned animals...I assume because they expand so much it may not get the most penetration on larger game, but Whitetails they do great for me

I shoot the 168 gr Amax from Reaper Ammo

Comment

i killed all my elk w Amax target bullets.. they are dead as can be no issues

Comment

They will kill anything you hit with them on this continent.

Comment

This is comforting guys! Thanks a lot!

Comment

Mini grenades when the velocity is too high. Slow em down sum and they work betterer. .308 velocity is about right.

Comment

I hunted exclusively with them for a long while but was running 178’s. However I only shot deer in the ear never took a shoulder shot.

I switched to 150 gr federal fusion and am getting the same point of impact and comparable groups. Fusions performed very well on a large buck shoulder shot.

Comment

All it takes is to just hit a piece of a major organ.

Comment

We’ve been using those same rounds on pigs they are very forgiving on body shots they do a lot of damage but they come all to pieces if you hit heavy bone like a shoulder on a big pig. We’ve made a couple 350 yard shots and they were DRT I would use a different bullet for big deer if I had an option

Comment

Absolutely enough for deer-- might be the perfect bullet for the velocity of a .308.

Watched one STONE a large axis this weekend.

Personally have killed quite a few deer and pigs with them in .308 and the 140gr from 6.5(CM and x284)

Largest personal kill was a red stag with one at about 75 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
                        Absolutely enough for deer-- might be the perfect bullet for the velocity of a .308.

Watched one STONE a large axis this weekend.

Personally have killed quite a few deer and pigs with them in .308 and the 140gr from 6.5(CM and x284)

Largest personal kill was a red stag with one at about 75 yards.

Really?? This is exciting

Comment

I'll go the other way. I used them and quit. They were one-hole accurate out of a heavy barrel Rem 700 .308, but the performance on game left a lot to be desired. I ear-holed a pig and didn't get enough penetration to kill it. On neck shots on whitetail, a solid hit on a vertebra resulted in no exit wound. I switched to 165 SSTs and get the same point of impact at 100 yards and much better on game performance.

Comment

Everything i have shot with them is still Dead so i say they work pretty good.

Comment

They have always performed well for me on deer and pigs. I wouldn’t hesitate one bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X