Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heading out to Red River, NM in the morning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heading out to Red River, NM in the morning...

Any reports from anybody who's been in the last month?

Annual trip, year number 28. I started coming when I was ten years old and now my kids are going.

Heading to Tall Pines, kinda low key this year. 6 nights. I may break away and find a guided day of fly fishing.

No nanny this year and no Can-am this year. We are going to go longer next year and haul the Can-am and 4wheelers in addition to hopefully finding a nanny to travel with us and help with the kids (who are easy going).

an awesome time will be had!
    post up some high country updates soon and safe travels.

Comment

Beautiful country, the closer it gets to 100 degrees here in North TX, the more I miss that area. Post pics if able, and have a “cool” trip.

Comment

Have fun Jeremy!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My daughter and I have been out here since Monday...beautiful weather but this place is PACKED!!! Of course we are staying downtown though...went horseback riding Tues, rafting Wed, and rented a sxs yesterday and rode some trails. If you're wanting to eat at any of the restaurants it's about an hour n half wait everywhere. We went to the Brewery last night at 5:15 and didn't leave until 8:15 for a couple burgers and fries. Everywhere is short staffed

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Comment

Pretty much what you said coachk.

We had a great time. Stayed at Tall Pines resort- Richard died in November and the place is up for sale. We fished there at the resort and went hiking. Hit the brewery a few times and Noise Water Winery. We took the ski lift up the mountain and hiked down goose lake trail to double loop all the way to the brewery which was fun.

This was peak high season- place was packed and restaurants were about an hour and a half behind.

We will go next year in September after I get back from deployment and have plans to stay at Rio Colorado, take the Can-Am and I'm going to go fishing up between Questa and Cimarron.

I'll try to post a few pics but Crapatalk hates my phone and me.

Comment

Wife and I are headed up in late September for a four day getaway (my kids retirement gift to me). Haven’t been to red river in 30 plus years. Hopefully the crowds will be light and the weather nice.

Comment

any trouble with NM covid limitations?

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
                  Wife and I are headed up in late September for a four day getaway (my kids retirement gift to me). Haven’t been to red river in 30 plus years. Hopefully the crowds will be light and the weather nice.
                  Late September should be pretty sparse as far as people. They do have a bike rally and a few events- I would see if those coincide, but otherwise, most families are done and kids in school. Aspens should start changing colors the end of September. I'd love to go end Sept/Oct sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                    NM says you have to wear a mask if not vaccinated...only saw a few people in masks, otherwise it was completely normal.

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post

Was up there a week last month and had on a mask zero. Saw very few. Love it up there

Comment

Wife and I spent two months at Road Runner RV park last year and are planning to go to the same place in late August for a couple weeks.
                        I love cooking on my grill next to the running creek so not concerned about wait times at the restaurants.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot4900 View Post
                          Wife and I spent two months at Road Runner RV park last year and are planning to go to the same place in late August for a couple weeks.
                          I love cooking on my grill next to the running creek so not concerned about wait times at the restaurants.

I need to buy a camper dammit...that sounds way better!!haha

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Comment

We’ve been going since I was a kid (53 yrs old now) and now my kids go as well. Soon they’ll be bringing their kids and so on! Love it up there! When I first started going was when I lived in the panhandle (Hartley) so it wasn’t but bout a 4 he drive to the camping areas. Now I’m in NE Texas, so we haul the camper, and our tons of stuff, to my sister/BIL house who are still in Hartley. We leave early on a Saturday from here in Sulphur Springs, drive the 8-9 hrs to Hartley, get there bout supper time, visit sisters, BIL, nieces/nephews, and my mom, who all still live there. We get up early in the morn on a Sunday and are at our camp sight before lunch time. We always camp next to my sister/BIL, nieces/nephews, and whoever else wants to go! We are west of town in the NF at Columbine Canyon. No hookups, electric, etc. but good paved road, that makes a big tear drop loop, with campsights along it. Feeder creek gurgling right by camp, feeding into the Red right by the highway. See mulies, black bears sometimes, and bighorns on the rocky bluff across the road. Since this is in a “canyon” or drainage if you will, that runs roughly N-S, you’re in the shade most of the day. So even on days when it may be a little warm (for RR) you still don’t have the sun beaming down for long! Lots of stories to tell with the decades we’ve been going, but I’m getting thumb cramps already! Seems like every year I’m always “fabbing” a new camping utensil, so everybody always asks “what I make this year”? Anyway, we leave out this Saturday and can’t wait!!! Good Huntin, and God Bless , Rusty

Comment

My daughters are 26 (twins) and the youngest is 24. They’ve been going since they were prob 4 and 6. Our deal is relax, come up with new stuff to cook at camp, and relax. Oh, and lots of hiking as well. And I’ll usually sneak off while everybody is still asleep and throw in a little fishing while the coffee is finishing…

Comment

Working...
                              X