coast fish freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coast fish freeze

Gonna be planning the yearly trip to Gorda and Rockport in June/July. Anybody living in this area that can attest to how the fishing is at all after the freeze? We fish all inshore stuff.

There will be fish there. Maybe not as many.

Comment

It wasn't as bad as expected. They didn't lose anymore than what 5 guides can take out of the water in any given week.

Comment

I'm sure they did all right... I heard the bass bite has been going crazy since that week of the freeze.

Comment

No fish in Gorda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

ULM and LLM got hammered, our deeper bay systems faired much better. You'll be fine, might be a little slower than normal but the beer will still be cold.

Comment

East Matagorda took a lick. On a positive note I have already heard a couple of positive reports out of EMB, better than you'd expect after hearing doom and gloom and total devastation for a couple of weeks. But it is still going to be off for awhile. How off is yet to be seen. West Matagorda Bay didn't appear to suffer much of a loss at all. Reports from over there have been what you would expect this time of year.

I fished last weekend and we did pretty good, as well as I would expect for February. Time will tell how many fish move back into EMB and how fast. All I will say is we are seeing some positive signs. I have heard several reports that have made me smile. They didn't all die and there are more in there already than I expected. So let's hope for a steady stream of new arrivals.

It won't be the best year ever but I don't see any reason why you can't come catch some fish.

Comment

In Port A sheepies and reds were around. Close enough to Rockport.

Comment

Went yesterday and fished Redfish bay area and it was fine. Saw a lot of bait around and we caught 6-7 reds, 5 really nice black drum and an 17" sheepie. And this was in crap conditions with east wind and slack tide. It will be fine.

Comment

Reading all this makes me feel much much better lol i hit a private pond up here in north texas and spots on the lake i always have luck yesterday and was skunked out. Always worth the trip to get in the saltwater!

Comment

I'm here in Rockport, and there was definitely a large fish kill. That said, I went out this morning and caught 3 healthy reds out of a large school. While out, I saw plenty of live sheepshead, drum, and bait fish in the shallows. I personally plan to catch and release for the time being, but I feel we will rebound soon enough.

I filmed some of the area over the past couple of weeks and shared my thoughts if you're interested:

https://youtu.be/BGMg9bwXehs

https://youtu.be/adquciw6CQs

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Comment

There was a huge fish kill down here in Corpus and all the way down through the Landcut...lots of dead trout amd Snook from what I saw...Hardheads, mullet, and most of the forage fish took huge hits...that being said the next month should bring bait back into the bays because right now there are redfish and black drum everywhere and they are HONGRY! On the bright side when I went looking at dead fish I never saw a dead red...black drum ,snook ,trout ,mullet ,hardheads, and literal tons of pufferfish

Comment

This freeze wasn't nearly as devastating as the freezes of the 80's, however it was the worst since then. I hope some folks will practice CPR or lower self limits. The freeze wasn't as bad, but the day to day pressure compared to the 1980's is insane. That said, come on down and spend some money while you're here!

Comment

Thresherfishing on you tube has done several videoswhere he films in corpus flats with big girls dead. With the waters still cold, he is saying that decomp is taking a bit of time to get them floating, but the white bellies under water are unmistakable.

Comment

it is pretty bad Port A and South. Please consider catch and release and avoid meat hauls this year so we can get back on track. Just a suggestion from one Captain. Have fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X