No announcement yet.

Residential Cinder Block Construction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good question MrLFD. Ive been wondering the same but for smaller buildings. I think Im gonna pony up the money regardless for a CB well shed due to wildfire pressure and wood destroying insect pressure.

I think youd still want to use 2x4s for studs for the higher batting insulation R value as opposed to firring strips.

Comment

A buddy of mine, moved to Mississippi years ago, the house he bought was made of cinder blocks. I can tell you that cinder blocks don't insulate very well. I stayed with them one Christmas, it got down in the teens or twenties when I was there. The room I slept in, most every morning when I woke up, had ice on the insides of the walls. The bed I was sleeping in, was against the wall. It was cold sleeping in that room.

We just went to Tennessee, at the beginning of this month. I saw multiple houses being built out of cinder block.

Comment

Practically every new house here on the southern Florida Gulf Coast is built this way - including ours.

It's almost impossible to get insurance on a wood frame residential structure here now.

I love it because it keeps out the noise, I like the look of the deep window frames, but it's a little annoying because my job involves climbing around in attics and the trusses in the attic can make it difficult to access.

Comment

If we build in Florida we are going icf. Common there and lots of builders. Its a bit more per sq ft but as others mentioned low heating and cooling plus lower insurance. Its also a faster build. My fire station is a block build but they are nice, looks like stone to a certain extent, but wouldn't like as a house

Comment

Working...
          X