No announcement yet.

Help Me Plan My First Elk Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you got by yourself make sure you kill your elk on the private land!!! Im not sure how it works in the National Forest next to you but in a lot of them you can't drive a motorized vehicle.... It could be the worst experience of your life if you have to walk a few miles, multiple times, with a quarter of an elk each trip. My dad and I packed one out of a national park one time in colorado. It was brutal! Learn the land and how the elk use it. Where they bed down, where they feed etc.... DO NOT get there and take off walking all over creation!! Find a high spot you can glass from and watch and listen. If you take off walking into their house, they are going to know you're looking for them and they are going to move. Which will make your hunt 10X harder. Find water holes and sit on them if it's dry and hit. If you can find someone to take along that knows the land that would be amazing! If not take someone who knows elk and let them help you call one in. It's a hard hunt with one and hinter and one caller. It's extremely difficult on your own!! Good luck!! Watch for bear cubs!

Comment

And get some of those bags you can put the entire leg in.... They have a drawstring on them and will help you keep the meat "clean".

Comment

Think safety. Extra batteries, keep cell well charged, GPS, maybe even first aid kit, matches, protein snacks, jerky, water
        Just in case of injured or lost

Comment

I have two handheld GPS units if you need one OP. I've been looking for something to do with them.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
            I have two handheld GPS units if you need one OP. I've been looking for something to do with them.
            Thanks for all the comments guys! Tim, appreciate the offer on both tagging along and a GPS. I do have a GPS so i'm good in that regard, but thanks again.

Quick pair of questions for you guys. Going solo you think it would be best to use a diaphragm cow call or some other hand held call?

Also, Im looking at the Black Ovis game bags. Any good opinions on them or other preferred options?

Comment

Don’t give up! I killed my first elk on day 13 of a 14 day season

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                Also, Im looking at the Black Ovis game bags. Any good opinions on them or other preferred options?
                I have two sets, they're really nice. I also have a bunch of Allen bags and they're just as functional and cost a lot less. I've put dozens of deer and a bunch of Antelope through the Allen bags. So far only a few through the Ovis sacks. I like the reflective strips for finding them in the dark.

Comment

Wondering if some of you experts can weigh in on a question I'm working through. Looking at buying a pack frame and/or pack for hauling an elk back to camp. I was thinking about getting just a frame and accessory for securing meat, but that limits me on provisions and accessories that I can bring along. I have a Badlands monster fanny pack, but I dont think I can utilize that and a frame pack.

Thinking about buying a frame and a small 1800 bag, but Im scared that I would likely not use this bag any other time but this one. Or I just buy the 6400 that I would use for other hunts where I dont have a cabin to stay in and compress it down for day use.

What do yall think is the best option here?

Comment

Wondering if some of you experts can weigh in on a question I'm working through. Looking at buying a pack frame and/or pack for hauling an elk back to camp. I was thinking about getting just a frame and accessory for securing meat, but that limits me on provisions and accessories that I can bring along. I have a Badlands monster fanny pack, but I dont think I can utilize that and a frame pack.

Thinking about buying a frame and a small 1800 bag, but Im scared that I would likely not use this bag any other time but this one. Or I just buy the 6400 that I would use for other hunts where I dont have a cabin to stay in and compress it down for day use.

What do yall think is the best option here?
                    I have several exo bags and frames I swap out depending what I’m doing. My 2000 bag (the new K3 1800) I run with a lid and use it for hunting here in TX and hunts that I know I’ll be returning to the truck or base camp every day. My 3200 I use for hunts I’ll be gone for 3-5 days at a time and then my 5500 I’ll use for trips I’ll strictly be hunting by backpack. All the backpacks can be cinched down to be used as a day pack with no issues. Another positive is if you go the exo route and get a bag size you’re not to sure about, you can sell that bag or swap it with someone else really quick.

Comment

I m a day pack user, as is the spouse. We keep the pack frame in camp or the truck for hauling put meat.
                      Both of us have day packs that can easily carry out the first boned out meat load, then we take the pack frame for the heavy hauling.
                      Which part of Sept will you be hunting? Later in the month temps may well be cool enough to get meat out in less than panicky manner. Even a cool breeze will help cool down quarters when they are laid over a bush etc.
                      Get the hide off asap though to aid in deep cooling. Then hang the quarters or put the boned out meat in a cooler.
                      Black Ovis bags are fine.
                      Have a couple of different cow calls, you'll sound like different elk that way. I have bite and blow calls and diaphragms, they make varying sounds.

If you go the big pack route keep it cinched down like stated above, packs make lots of noise as you move through timber or brush.
                      Have some paracord or rope in your pack, you can tie off hooves to the horns to aid in gutting , gutless works great for elk though. elk are just big deer, remove the lower legs bones before packing any meat to save on extra weight.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                        I have several exo bags and frames I swap out depending what I’m doing. My 2000 bag (the new K3 1800) I run with a lid and use it for hunting here in TX and hunts that I know I’ll be returning to the truck or base camp every day. My 3200 I use for hunts I’ll be gone for 3-5 days at a time and then my 5500 I’ll use for trips I’ll strictly be hunting by backpack. All the backpacks can be cinched down to be used as a day pack with no issues. Another positive is if you go the exo route and get a bag size you’re not to sure about, you can sell that bag or swap it with someone else really quick.
                        Thanks for the post and PM! Good information.

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                        I m a day pack user, as is the spouse. We keep the pack frame in camp or the truck for hauling put meat.
                        Both of us have day packs that can easily carry out the first boned out meat load, then we take the pack frame for the heavy hauling.
                        Which part of Sept will you be hunting? Later in the month temps may well be cool enough to get meat out in less than panicky manner. Even a cool breeze will help cool down quarters when they are laid over a bush etc.
                        Get the hide off asap though to aid in deep cooling. Then hang the quarters or put the boned out meat in a cooler.
                        Black Ovis bags are fine.
                        Have a couple of different cow calls, you'll sound like different elk that way. I have bite and blow calls and diaphragms, they make varying sounds.

If you go the big pack route keep it cinched down like stated above, packs make lots of noise as you move through timber or brush.
                        Have some paracord or rope in your pack, you can tie off hooves to the horns to aid in gutting , gutless works great for elk though. elk are just big deer, remove the lower legs bones before packing any meat to save on extra weight.
                        Thanks for the post! I will be early September, so I worry a little about cooling the meat. I would prefer to use the badlands mini pack for day use, and just return to camp for my pack frame should I kill an elk. But I worry that the time lost going back and forth would cause me to lose some meat. But like it was mentioned, I can always throw a hindquarter over the shoulder so its not a completely wasted trip.

Comment

You're going to have at least one bag of boned pout meat from an elk harvest, carry that out in your day pack and the rest on the pack frame. It shouldn't even add an extra trip for the pack out.
                          Remove the lower leg bones if you don't bone it out for packing, they will come off with just a pocket knife at the joint.
                          Lay the quarters over a log for air circulation while packing or hang them up, paracord, till you can carry them out.
                          Front shoulders are much easier to carry out over the shoulder without a pack, less weight.
                          Skinning the quarters saves on weight but does allow more dirt to get on the meat. Take those lower leg bones off for sure. The lightweight game bags are great but pricey, they will last several years though.

Even a Kelty pack frame will work great for packing, get an upgraded hip belt and shoulder harness if you go that type of route.

Sounds like you'll be in a great unit. Hope you have good hunt .

Comment

Thanks for the post and PM! Good information.

Thanks for the post! I will be early September, so I worry a little about cooling the meat. I would prefer to use the badlands mini pack for day use, and just return to camp for my pack frame should I kill an elk. But I worry that the time lost going back and forth would cause me to lose some meat. But like it was mentioned, I can always throw a hindquarter over the shoulder so its not a completely wasted trip.
                            Look into using citric acid to help with any meat that takes a while to get out.

Comment

I'd recommend listening to the Elk Talk podcast where Randy and Corey discuss meat care, specifically when it's hot. Lot's of good info and tips given on dealing with meat in early season. Podcast #36: Meat Care in Hot Weather

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on the draw, that is going to be an excellent opp for you! Following along

ac

Comment

Working...
                                X