Lake House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake House

Considering getting a lake house for our family. We might air bnb at some point in time. It seems like the search feature is down (at least on my end) cause I’m sure this has been a thread a time or 2.
    Who has a lake house? Pro/cons. Would you do it all over again in retrospect? Looking at a house 40 minutes doorstep to doorstep.

I typed “lake house” in the search space and got a whole bunch of threads.

Comment

How much do lake houses cost these days? If regular cookie cutter homes soared to 400-600k I bet lake homes are millions

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        How much do lake houses cost these days? If regular cookie cutter homes soared to 400-600k I bet lake homes are millions
        Plenty of lakes in TX depends on where you are looking. Sam Rayburn can still had for under $350k.

Personally if paying cash I would wait for the downturn. Lots of people have been buying 2nd and 3rd homes over the past 5 years and I imagine many will be looking to cut down on their monthly payments.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          I typed “lake house” in the search space and got a whole bunch of threads.
          My search feature has resulted in a white screen all day. Sure it’s an issue on my end

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
            We’ve found a house that meets our requirements and budget. I’m just curious what current lake house or former lake house owners have to say about owing a lake house. Super fun? Would recommend it?

Comment

we owned a nice lake house on Lake Buchanan for around 8 years.

Pros:

1. like you ours was around 40 minutes from our house - that was huge for us - did not want to drive hours just for a weekend
              2. Great way to keep kids/grandkids around you - everybody loved going to the lake
              3.If you decide to rent it out get a management company to do it for you - way too much hassle to DIY
              4. Overall just a very cool getaway on weekends and holidays

Cons:

1. If it is not a constant level lake then it can be a mess at times. Buchanan was not and we went through a 4 year drought. Boat dock was dry docked and we had our boat stored. All of the ramps on the lake were closed. If I ever do one again it will be on a constant level lake for sure.
              2. Does it have a big yard? Unless you are willing to pay for lawn care you will be driving there at times when you do not really want to just to mow the lawn.
              3. Everybody becomes your friends when you own a lake house. We let family and friends use it at times but in general they will use everything in the home (paper towels, etc.) and not replace them.

End of the day we have great memories from our lake house - would still have it if not for it not being a constant level lake.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post

Pros:

1. like you ours was around 40 minutes from our house - that was huge for us - did not want to drive hours just for a weekend
                2. Great way to keep kids/grandkids around you - everybody loved going to the lake
                3.If you decide to rent it out get a management company to do it for you - way too much hassle to DIY

Cons:

1. If it is not a constant level lake then it can be a mess at times. Buchanan was not and we went through a 4 year drought. Boat dock was dry docked and we had our boat stored. All of the ramps on the lake were closed. If I ever do one again it will be on a constant level lake for sure.
                2. Does it have a big yard? Unless you are willing to pay for lawn care you will be driving there at times when you do not really want to just to mow the lawn.
                3. Everybody becomes your friends when you own a lake house. We let family and friends use it at times but in general they will use everything in the home (paper towels, etc.) and not replace them.

End of the day we have great memories from our lake house - would still have it if not for it not being a constant level lake.

Good luck
                This is exactly what I was looking for in a response. Thank you. No, it’s not a constant level lake. It’s on lake Granbury. The front yard is tiny and the backyard is steep and covered with a common landscaping ivy. Yard maintenance will be absolutely minimal I believe. The overall sq footage of the house is small, but nice. Not much room inside for tons of folks to sleep which is a bonus in our mind lol.

Comment

Ain’t nothing like a Lake House.

Comment

Originally posted by LHPanther View Post
                    We’ve found a house
                    that meets our requirements and budget. I’m just curious what current lake house or former lake house owners have to say about owing a lake house. Super fun? Would recommend it?
                    Which Lake did you choose?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post

Pros:

Cons:

Good luck

This is pretty spot on ^^^^.

My great-grandfather bought a 2 room cabin on Lake Worth back in 1932. The lot was leased at the time. But the cabin was bought. It was a two-room cabin that grew over time. My grandfather moved into it to raise my dad ((age 12) when he came into my grandfather's custody from a divorce. His mother could not handle him any longer. Anyway, my grandfather got him straightened out. He was raised on the lake. And eventually became a minister before marrying my mother. Being an only child, he inherited the place when my grandfather passed in 1999. The city sold all the lots to the owners after that. And in 2008, my dad put it up for sale. I took care of the grounds most of the time after my grandfather got to old to (1980s on). It was a large lot, about an acre. I've got many of grand and fond memories of the place that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. Taught my kids to swim and fish there. Had some Christmas gatherings there growing up. And many a BBQ and Corn roast out back. There were many times I kept the 150' dock brushed for crappie in the spring. And baited for catfish through the summers. Had my wedding there. And many other memories. My grandfather conveyed much of the lake's history to me. One of his sisters was also a Ft. Worth historian that I got to speak with much of my young adult life.

I still spend time in the area. Work nearby, same place where my Dad did in the mid 1960s. I also had the opportunity to witness the growth of the area. And demise of some of it with the "new" change that came with time.

Yes, memories are made at places like that. If that is what you want of your legacy, go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by LHPanther View Post
                        This is exactly what I was looking for in a response. Thank you. No, it’s not a constant level lake. It’s on lake Granbury. The front yard is tiny and the backyard is steep and covered with a common landscaping ivy. Yard maintenance will be absolutely minimal I believe. The overall sq footage of the house is small, but nice. Not much room inside for tons of folks to sleep which is a bonus in our mind lol.
                        wow - we live in Georgetown and I have been looking at lake houses at Lake Granbury -a little further than I would want for a drive but that area is awesome. The lake is very nice and the town is awesome. Even though it is not constant level it is still pretty steady as far as lake levels from what I have seen

My daughter's in-laws own a house there and they love it - we go up and enjoy it couple of times a year - IMO you cannot go wrong with Granbury ( there are some areas of the lake that are spotty - lots of stumps, etc. so make sure you learn the lay of the land (or lake) - good luck to you

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                          Which Lake did you choose?
                          Lake Granbury. Just a short drive from our house.

Comment

Looking for a place around Sam Rayburn myself, but I’m not paying the overpriced land note these days. Would like 1-2 acres and will build what I want.

Comment

We lived on Lake Livingston for 10 years. It was awesome. Get up in the morning and drink coffee looking across the lake. Want to go for a ride, just hit the switch and boat is in the water in 60 seconds. We sold last year and now live one block off the water but have water view. The waterfront taxes just about tripled on Livingston around 2011 and I just couldn’t justify it anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X