Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butchering a steer. How would you have it processed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butchering a steer. How would you have it processed?

We are having one butchered and I can’t decide how to have it butchered or what the yield would be. He weighs 1000-1100 pounds.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just have mine cut into the standard cuts but my steaks are thicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
      I just have mine cut into the standard cuts but my steaks are thicker.
      That's what we did a few years ago. As few roasts as possible to get more ground.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
        We are having one butchered and I can’t decide how to have it butchered or what the yield would be. He weighs 1000-1100 pounds.

Any suggestions?

You will receive roughly 45% of live weight in meat yield. So, on the high side, 450-500lbs of meat give or take. We do ours in standard cuts. The butcher, if worth their salt, will explain what cuts are available depending on your selection. We like boneless ribeyes, roasts (front shoulders) some hamburger, brisket (we do ours cut smaller than what we find at the store and get multiple that way) absolutely keep the liver and heart. Liver for catfish bait and heart makes a good meal if you are into that sort of thing. Cut ribs short or full length however you like it. Look at cut selection charts and you will get a good idea what you may want.

Comment

Man,as hard as it is to get a butchering date..That might push me to butchering my own beef.If you had the space to do it,etc..I dunno what a butcher makes,but ****..They're in high demand right now.

Comment

Easy. Tell them what you don’t like. That will become burger.

Comment

So as of now, we are doing sirloin and ribeye cut 1” thick. 2” filet, round steaks tenderized for chicken fried steak. Short ribs, skirt steak for fajitas, about 15 pounds of stew meat, hamburger, heart, and tongue. Oh and a few roasts. My dad crockpots those for himself and eats on it for a week.

I’m thinking that should cover the basis. That heart and tongue are for me! Fried heart or stew and tacos lengua!

Comment

This is what my family does for standard, And how many of each you “should” expect for an 1100# calf.

Enjoy!

Comment

We r but hearing one or two

A person is buying half and wants the bone fir bone marrow. Do butchers process the bone marrow out?

She want all organs, do processors charge a lot extra fir the organs?

Comment

You will get lots of HB.

If you don’t want that much burger, I’d suggest you keep larger cuts
                    Of meat.

Liver, heart, soup bones, oxtail…it can all be used.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
                      You will get lots of HB.

If you don’t want that much burger, I’d suggest you keep larger cuts
                      Of meat.

Liver, heart, soup bones, oxtail…it can all be used.

Keeping everything except the liver

Comment

We slaughter two show steers each year. Yield has always been 37-38% of live weight. 45% yield was mentioned above. Not sure how it gets that high. Maybe these fully grain-fed fat calves have way way more fat trimmed.

The butcher's cut sheet should walk you through exactly what your options are. If you go with the standard, expect in the neighborhood of 40% ground, 60% cuts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

If they don't make you stick to a cut sheet, my recommendation is to get all large cuts. If you run our of burger you can grind up a roast on your own and add or not add as much beef or pork fat as you want. The cut sheets are a good guide.

Comment

Tag

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
                              We slaughter two show steers each year. Yield has always been 37-38% of live weight. 45% yield was mentioned above. Not sure how it gets that high. Maybe these fully grain-fed fat calves have way way more fat trimmed.

The butcher's cut sheet should walk you through exactly what your options are. If you go with the standard, expect in the neighborhood of 40% ground, 60% cuts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

You are correct. My estimation is on the high end. We do feed out quite a bit of grain toward the end. 40% is typical. A 1200 lb steer will yeild 750 lb carcass and about 450-500lbs meat and 150 lb fat trim.
                              The OP stated 1100 lbs which is pretty close. So he can expect slightly less than 45% with a less “hands on” approach and just grass fed vs grain fed.

Comment

Working...
                              X