NE Texas Sandy Soil Recom.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
    Mid July this year in drought. I planted them in a 1.5” rain. That was about lol they ever got. We had a good dawn crop on this place
    Dang! You could milk that nanny!

Comment

ICP run about $50 or more here in the GT.
      The most I have paid for Soybeans was $31, both 50lb bags.

I haven't been able to make the jump to $100 a bag for Forage Soybeans.

Comment

But remember with IC for that extra $25 per acre you get 2+ tons more browse.... typically (nothing is certain)

Comment

the best thing i have seen grow in the winter is oats, specifically the oats from the sweet feed i pour out. it grows like carpet and they keep it mowed down.

i am going to try some IC peas this spring and buck forage oats next winter.

Comment

I’m not in east Texas, but I have sandy loam in west Texas. Iron and Clay peas are the best we have found.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
              the best thing i have seen grow in the winter is oats, specifically the oats from the sweet feed i pour out. it grows like carpet and they keep it mowed down.

i am going to try some IC peas this spring and buck forage oats next winter.
              Oats are good, Winter Wheat (which I think is the same) is good, always put a brassica of some type. Im gonna try the Radish, elgato uses.

Im sticking with Soybeans.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                But remember with IC for that extra $25 per acre you get 2+ tons more browse.... typically (nothing is certain)
                How do you figure the difference? If one is continually browsed, but cant get over knee high and the other is waist high and looks untouched?

The reason I don't use ICP anymore. We would plant, they come up pretty, lush, thick, but the deer wouldn't eat them till they bloomed. When the blossoms came out, the deer ate every leaf and the peas then died. It happened every time we planted. Looked like a herd of cattle went through them. Took them about 2 nights to demolish the plot. We just didn't see the regeneration like you are talking about.

Lot of folks like ICP and Im not against them, but I want something that will last till mid September

Comment

Working...
                X