No announcement yet.

Feeding Corn Year Round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would y'all budget for corn for year around. If you just have a 30 gallon feeder throwin

Comment

I agree with cutting back on the feeder spin duration and feeding times. Corn is low in protein and high in starch. The microbes in the rumen attacked starches more readily than browse. Too much corn can cause acidosis, bloat and hoof deformities. But that's a lot of corn. Many deer will adapt accordingly to a high corn diet, as they will know when to stop - kinda of like most people eating ice cream. You know when to stop. We will normally cut back or quit with the spring rains as natural forage protein levels increase. Plants like lime prickly ash, cat claw and granjeno will go to >20% protein.

That's my .02

Comment

Originally posted by bulltx50 View Post
        Feeding year round is a plus. If hogs are an issue, I always recommend hog panel feed pens built extra large. Deer like room. As for shutting down after hunting season, is actually not the best thing to do. Even in Texas winter can stress the deer and additional food is always a good thing. 50/50 corn and protein through early spring can be beneficial. good luck.
        I agree, these hogs are thick around east Texas.. Good luck to ya

Comment

I run 13 feeders on different ranches running year around gets expensive but I leave them running for about 2 seconds once a day, seems like as long as they are running you don't have repair issues.

Comment

I feed corn year round. Most other lease members don't. If nothing else, I feel like they always know there will be feed there.

I also feed free choice protein since corn offers very little nutritional benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We will keep one of ours running year around

Comment

Working...
              X