Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 06-15-2022, 03:47 PM   #1
Kirby86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camo that doesn't match
Default Mobile hunting and packing/quartering

One of the questions I get from people is ďhow do you get one out when youíre that far back.Ē

I quarter usually unless Iím close to the boat/truck. Most of the celebrity youtube hunters talk about it, yet I still see them dragging or not covering the gutless method (probably due to weird game laws).

So hereís 3 questions for you veterans who DO quarter:

1) if you saddle hunt out of an ultralight pack or a fanny pack, do you keep a frame pack in the truck?

2) Do you quarter or debone, and do you do multiple trips or try to get it all out in one trip?

3) I know game bags/pillowcase/trash bags are a necessity, but do you carry a tarp as well and if so which one?

4) and lastly, if you use your treestand as a frame pack, how much weight do you haul with it comfortably?
Iíve noticed most donít have shoulder straps with functional load lifters. I love my Kifaru because it carries heavy loads fantastic. What I donít like is that the 26 inch frame sticks 2 inches overhead and catches every branch imaginable.

I know how I do it, but Iíd love to see yíallís input!

Iíve included my setup on here as a reference. Itís a lwcg .5 with muddy pro sticks with EWO mods and diy aiders. Kuiu hip belt and shoulder straps.

Saddle setup is a Kifaru Stryker XL with a EWO one stick.

Kirby86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2022, 04:25 PM   #2
Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: God's green earth

So you have the Kuiu straps and hip belt attached to the stand? If you kill an animal you use the stand as the backpack to strap quarters to it and haul it out?

Can you de-bone legally in Texas? I think you have to leave it in quarters and take the two backstraps until it reaches its final destination. I am not 100% on this?
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2022, 04:32 PM   #3
Kirby86
Ten Point

Default Mobile hunting and packing/quartering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
So you have the Kuiu straps and hip belt attached to the stand? If you kill an animal you use the stand as the backpack to strap quarters to it and haul it out?

Can you de-bone legally in Texas? I think you have to leave it in quarters and take the two backstraps until it reaches its final destination. I am not 100% on this?

Straps are attached to the stand with rubber wire and industrial strength zip ties. Iíve only put a bag of corn on the seat with it acting like a load shelf and it wasnít bad but if it gets above 50lbs I could see there being issues. Iím 6ft tall but Iím all arms and legs with an 18 inch torso which is extra small. I donít know if the hip belt would even work for some folks unless you let the shoulder straps sag which would also make for a miserable carry.

As for deboning in Texas, itís gotta stay quartered along with proof of sex. Some other states are a little different. I was just curious. But from experience, the one elk I deboned was a nightmare to try to get the meat into the game bag without it slipping out of my hand so I prefer leaving it on the bone!

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...killing-a-deer
Old 06-16-2022, 06:49 AM   #4
BarW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Polk, Angelina counties, Colorado

1. Yes
2. Skin gut and quarter usually one trip unless its over 150 lbs live weight.
3. Yes 6x8 or I keep a gambrel and hoist in my pack and use a tree limb. Tarp is lighter hoist is easier to keep stuff clean.
4. Always used a frame pack because its easier to go back to the truck/boat and get it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by BarW; 06-16-2022 at 06:53 AM.
BarW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2022, 09:04 AM   #5
Dirty Kev
Four Point

Using the platform as a frame is the way to go IMO. It works well not only for carrying out your quarters, but also carrying in bags of corn (where allowed), like you mentioned. Mine came with pretty well padded shoulder straps, but I did order a hip belt from amazon for like $20 and rigged it up with some nylon strap I had around. The hip belt has made a huge difference on long hikes with a load.

I have tried using a space blanket as a cleaning tarp because its super light, cheap, and disposable, but it lets sticks poke through which tears it to shreds pretty quick. This next season, I'm gonna try a rain fly from an old tent. I think it will still pack down small and light, but will be much more durable and reusable. If that doesn't work, plan B is to buy 2 rock climbing pulleys that will work with my lifeline rope to create a hoist with some mechanical advantage.
Dirty Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2022, 09:23 AM   #6
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: AK & TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Kev View Post
I have tried using a space blanket as a cleaning tarp because its super light, cheap, and disposable, but it lets sticks poke through which tears it to shreds pretty quick. This next season, I'm gonna try a rain fly from an old tent. I think it will still pack down small and light, but will be much more durable and reusable. If that doesn't work, plan B is to buy 2 rock climbing pulleys that will work with my lifeline rope to create a hoist with some mechanical advantage.
A piece of tyvek is about as good as it gets. Run it through one cycle in the washing machine (no detergent) and its good to go.
diamond10x is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2022, 10:54 AM   #7
Kirby86
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond10x View Post
A piece of tyvek is about as good as it gets. Run it through one cycle in the washing machine (no detergent) and its good to go.

Iíve used one as a ground cloth for my tent but this beats the heck out of carrying a contractor trash bag like Iíve been doing! Genius!
Old 06-16-2022, 10:58 AM   #8
Dirty Kev
Four Point

Quote:
Genius! Definitely gonna give that a shot
Old 06-16-2022, 11:16 AM   #9
jomw10
Six Point

I partially deboned my elks, just remove femur, to be able to fit more easily in an ice chest. Usually 2 or 3 trips. Deer will be in one trip.

I carry game bags and try an emergency blanket, but didn't work, stick to everything and shreds easily. This year I'm trying a hunters tarp.
jomw10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2022, 10:55 AM   #10
Phorizt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public land & Hamilton

I have a Mystery Rach Popup pack that I use for just about everything hunting on public land(in texas at least). It is versatile enough that I can use it as a daypack while scouting or getting in and out to my hunting location but I can also carry my treestand, sticks and other gear in it. Last year I packed out Nilgai quarters with it too and it worked perfectly with that. I built a no tree required "ladder" stand that I used on my nilgai hunt in south texas so I could see over the 4' tall grass and was able to pack that in and out over a mile with the Popup pack. The 6' ladder stand is 18" x 28" when it is collapsed and weighs about 25 pounds.
Phorizt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2022, 01:31 PM   #11
Kirby86
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorizt View Post
I have a Mystery Rach Popup pack that I use for just about everything hunting on public land(in texas at least). It is versatile enough that I can use it as a daypack while scouting or getting in and out to my hunting location but I can also carry my treestand, sticks and other gear in it. Last year I packed out Nilgai quarters with it too and it worked perfectly with that. I built a no tree required "ladder" stand that I used on my nilgai hunt in south texas so I could see over the 4' tall grass and was able to pack that in and out over a mile with the Popup pack. The 6' ladder stand is 18" x 28" when it is collapsed and weighs about 25 pounds.
You running the 28 or the 38? We got my wife the 28 and I've ran it a few times but its a first gen so the aluminum pop ups seem a little fragile. It can handle about 70lbs before the hip belt starts to bite me.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:52 PM   #12
Phorizt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public land & Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby86 View Post
You running the 28 or the 38? We got my wife the 28 and I've ran it a few times but its a first gen so the aluminum pop ups seem a little fragile. It can handle about 70lbs before the hip belt starts to bite me.

Pretty sure it is the 38

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phorizt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2022, 10:58 PM   #13
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Iíll be dang! Great idea

Typically I only trophy hunt public land so IF/when I do kill I use a cart thatís in truck (bad luck to bring it in with ya lol). If Iím close to truck, last hunt, need meat and shoot a doe then I still drag. A Texas deer ainít an elk and I can drag a doe gutted forever

BUT THE BEST WAY, is my groups way. If I kill it, YOU get to drag it! Even if I got to call ya to come do it!!!!ÖÖ. BUT, it works both ways and true friends will be there (pending a draw hunt)

Iím not a pack guy, hate em all and donít need one reallyÖ.. but a frame pack in certain situations and hunts does have merit for sure
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2022, 08:33 AM   #14
dannorocks
Four Point

Hunt In: Green Plaid

Most my Texas hunting I use a lightweight 6í tripod that is about 18 lbs, no saddle for me.

When I kill Iíll quarter where they lie, no need to debone.

I use a tarp in the process, I use window shrink film for winter insulation. I cut it down smaller than the roll I get in the window kit. That stuff is super light and great for a backpacking ground cloth too, and probably half the weight and space of tyvek.

I use a kuiu pack, pack outs usually are single trips, just carry the tripod base on my shoulder, strap the seat on my pack, Montana bow sling over the other shoulder.

dannorocks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 04:21 AM   #15
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

I always have one of my Kuiu packs on me and always quarter in the field as I'm gonna do it anyway so may as well do it there. I also hunt in a CWD zone so carcass has to stay there, no debone in Texas. Last year's buck I was alone and packed the whole thing out in one trip, trimmings liver heart and all I leave practically nothing behind. I had to carry the head and back of straps and neck meat by hand 1.25 miles but managed it. It was late evening and I didn't want to make a 2nd trip. The doe I had other peeps with me so shared the load out. I don't bother with tarps because the animal has one built-in, I just put quarters straight into bags or lay stuff out on the inside of the stretched out hide if I don't have a bag ready.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 10:52 AM   #16
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

For whitetails I quarter them where they lay and carry them out in a kifaru. If the extra height of the frame gets in your way, consider getting a shorter frame. You don't need all that load lifting range when you are only carrying 100lbs for a mile or two on mostly flat ground.

I don't find any kind of a ground sheet/tarp to be necessary. I'm holding the quarter in my hand as i cut the last connection and then it immediately goes into a game bag. I have gotten so used to quartering deer on the ground that i now prefer it over hanging them.
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 12:38 AM   #17
Boone44
Six Point

Hunt In: DCNF

I'm going with a pack frame, tarp and 7 gallon bucket this year. I'm getting too old and lazy to use a cart these days. I feel like 4 quarters and the backstrap will fit in a 7 gallon bucket.
Boone44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 12:14 AM   #18
thecgspalding
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma

I have read about people using the condor tactical H harness and belt and attaching it to the bottom of a stand platform. I recently bought a Hawk combat hang on stand and the traps that come with it are kind of joke for anything further than 100yds. This will be my first year hunting public and hiking stuff in so just curious what else people have used that hasn't broken the bank.
thecgspalding is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 08:02 AM   #19
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecgspalding View Post
I have read about people using the condor tactical H harness and belt and attaching it to the bottom of a stand platform. I recently bought a Hawk combat hang on stand and the traps that come with it are kind of joke for anything further than 100yds. This will be my first year hunting public and hiking stuff in so just curious what else people have used that hasn't broken the bank.
I guess everyones definition of breaking the bank is different, but you can buy quality belts and shoulder harnesses from kuiu or kifaru for pretty reasonable. Around $150 all in.

How often and how far you carry it will determine if that cost is justified.

https://www.kuiu.com/products/pro-su...40340225589406
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 12:08 PM   #20
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZPJF6T/
Old 07-13-2022, 09:03 PM   #21
Dirty Kev
Four Point

Quote:

I can vouch for the condor belt and harness setup. think it was like $40 to get both.

Old 07-13-2022, 09:16 PM   #22
rebelbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: tx,ks,ok

hawk crawler 4 wheel cart is a game changer!
rebelbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2022, 10:25 PM   #23
sasqy
Ten Point

Hunt In: my Sasquatch Suit

I have a deer drag that goes over my back and around my waist with a tow hook in the small of you’re back. I haven’t had to quarter one yet, but am always ready in case too far or too big. Def good info here.
sasqy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2022, 10:47 AM   #24
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbow View Post
hawk crawler 4 wheel cart is a game changer!
For me, thatís the answer ^^^. Iíll walk black out reguardless the distance and get a crawler cart go back inÖ and back out quicker than you most could quarter and try and pack out ( in the terrain I hunt anyway). Those old school cart/wrist breakers arenít much better option than just dragging it. Lol

OhÖ. And NEVER haul the cart in with yaÖ. Bad Luck!
Old 07-18-2022, 11:18 AM   #25
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

As stated above. The Hawk Crawler is a game changer.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2022, 01:39 PM   #26
Kirby86
Ten Point

If Iím less than a mile from the boat, a cart isnít bad but if itís through a ragweed field, or climbing out of a creek bottom where Iíve had to use a rope to rappel or get through cottonwood saplings, a cart is absolute hell.

Add in crossing creek bottoms that require waders along with hills with cedars, etc. and Iím quartering from here on out!

This guy sucked and it was right at a mile back to the boat. Hills and creek bottom mud suck for wheels!

Old 07-18-2022, 01:43 PM   #27
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
If Iím less than a mile from the boat, a cart isnít bad but if itís through a ragweed field, or climbing out of a creek bottom where Iíve had to use a rope to rappel or get through cottonwood saplings, a cart is absolute hell.

Add in crossing creek bottoms that require waders along with hills with cedars, etc. and Iím quartering from here on out!

This guy sucked and it was right at a mile back to the boat. Hills and creek bottom mud suck for wheels!

I know I'm weird, but everything you described sounds like a blast to me.

Nice buck!
Old 07-18-2022, 04:01 PM   #28
Kirby86
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
I know I'm weird, but everything you described sounds like a blast to me.

Nice buck!

Itís definitely type 2 fun. Sucks during, but fun after
Old 07-18-2022, 08:57 PM   #29
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Iíd rather hunt from a boat than anything. Load em once and unload when you get to the skinning rack
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2022, 09:34 AM   #30
E.TEXAS4LIFE
Four Point

Hunt In: SHNF,DCNF, S'ville, Magnolia

Quote:

**** that looks like something straight out of a Hunting Public episode. Very cool

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
E.TEXAS4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top