A Question on outboard upkeep/repair/maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Question on outboard upkeep/repair/maintenance

I came into possession of a 49 y.o. Kiefkafer Mercury 20 h.p. outboard that so far, appears to be in fairly good shape.
    It was said to run fine last year till it was put into storage for the winter.
    Now it doesn't start according to the owner.
    It seems very clean and in good condition and I'd like to keep it but being a klutz with mechanical stuff, what are the experts opinions on getting it running (preferably on the cheap).
    Suggestions? Ideas?

And are there any recommendations for a marine mechanic in the DFW area?

Many thanks,
    Pat Miller

Would guess the carb is gummed up, or bad plugs, I had a old merc like that one, if the carb wasnt set right you would go thur plugs like crazy, but when it was running, it would scream

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Compression, spark, and fuel. Check them in that order. If you have compression and spark then the carbs probably need a good cleaning and fresh fuel.

Comment

utube Dangar Marine...…….
        This guy, knows it all...…….

Comment

Use ONLY ethanol free gas in that old engine. It was designed long before ethanol and the ethanol will eat up fuel lines, gaskets, seals, etc.

Comment

thanks for the tips

Comment

Many times you can just clean the float bowl and float valve and get it back running without a full carb rebuild.

Comment

Charlie's Outboard in Alvarado can get it running for ya'.
                Always use leaded race gas in it from now on.It'll run forever with simple crank up's when not using regularly.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  Compression, spark, and fuel. Check them in that order. If you have compression and spark then the carbs probably need a good cleaning and fresh fuel.
                  plain and simple

Comment

Working...
                  X