Headed to B A Steinhagen/Angelina Neches Dam B WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed to B A Steinhagen/Angelina Neches Dam B WMA

Dragging the boat to B A Steinhagen/Angelina Neches Dam B WMA for a combination duck hunt in the morning and deer hunting in the afternoon.
    I am staying in a screened shelter in Martin Dies Jr. State Park with easy access to the lake with a modicum of security for an old guy like me.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions or have hunted there before?

MY goal is to enjoy myself, the solitude, read my books, operate my boat, and couldn't give a rats' patootie if I kill ducks or shoot a deer but I'm still llooking for ideas?

HNY

There's plenty of gators in those waters. Hunt the land between the rivers for deer and hogs. I'm sure if you find a slough off the river with surrounding oaks there will be some wood ducks. Remember its doe or unbranched buck season only with a muzzleloader

Comment

Oh and bring you a fishing pole and fish the Angelina river.

Comment

That lake is not a lake that is easy to navigate. be careful of stumps. The run to the mouth of the rivers is a pretty good one as well.

If you don’t need the comforts of the state park, look into the remote camping sites on the river.
        Last edited by Greenheadless; 01-05-2020, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Take firewood. Go to Jasper and eat at the Cedar Tree (buffet). Enjoy the solitude, the park is deserted in winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
            That lake is not a lake that is easy to navigate. be careful of stumps. The run to the mouth of the rivers is a pretty gone one as well.

If you don’t need the comforts of the state park, look into the remote camping sites on the river.
            The boat ramp in bevilport might not be a bad option?

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
              There's plenty of gators in those waters. Hunt the land between the rivers for deer and hogs. I'm sure if you find a slough off the river with surrounding oaks there will be some wood ducks. Remember its doe or unbranched buck season only with a muzzleloader
              I didn’t realize it was only unbranched bucks with a muzzleloader. I know is some South Texas counties that have a special late season that’s all they can harvest but didn’t think East Texas muzzleloader fell into that.

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
                I didn’t realize it was only unbranched bucks with a muzzleloader. I know is some South Texas counties that have a special late season that’s all they can harvest but didn’t think East Texas muzzleloader fell into that.
                I'm not sure that's right either.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
                Last edited by BigThicketBoy; 01-05-2020, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                  That lake is not a lake that is easy to navigate. be careful of stumps. The run to the mouth of the rivers is a pretty good one as well.

Stumps and sand bars. Been a long time since Ive been onthat lake but we would always put in at the park on the east side off 190 and zig zag to the mouths and head up to some slough. Oh the days as a kid. Spent a few nights in those screened huts. **** they’re hot in the summer!!

Hope you got a heater

Comment

That's the rule for the land hes hunting on not the county's rule.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                        That's the rule for the land hes hunting on not the county's rule.
                        10-4

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok gotcha. Thanks

Comment

Man that is a place I haven't been to since I was a kid, but before there were parks and such around the lake, we used to stay at the Magnolia ridge area and fish in the summer... What a beautiful area it was... Back in the late 60's that area was just called "the East Log Jam" and you had to have a boat you could carry or drag to get in the water there... Later they built ramps and put in concrete benches/tables but it was still pretty much primitive... In late June/early July, we'd catch literally hundreds of bream n bluegill on "k-tobby worms" (Catalpa Catapillars)...

Hope you enjoy yourself! If it's warm, watch out for snakes n gators! Lots of both round that area.

Comment

I'd try some trot lining.

Comment

Working...
                              X