Hunting NW of Rocksprings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting NW of Rocksprings

Did a little research through older threads, but would like a little more info. Does anyone hunt 5-10 miles northwest of Rocksprings on HWY 55? If so, what type of game can one expect and how do you like it?

You will probably see quite a few exotics running around. You are going to have white tail out there for sure but dont get your hopes up for any huge deer, there is not an abundance of nutrition in the native vegitation.

Comment

Paging WTN

Comment

I used to hunt down 55 by the A&M research center. Let’s just say axis axis AXIS! They were everywhere and some TOADS at that. Good number for whitetail too.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
          I used to hunt down 55 by the A&M research center. Let’s just say axis axis AXIS! They were everywhere and some TOADS at that. Good number for whitetail too.
          Whereabouts is the research center located?

Comment

Originally posted by BaylorHunter3 View Post
            Whereabouts is the research center located?
            About halfway to 277, maybe 15 miles or so.

Comment

Lots of deer! We hunted 10 miles from town

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post
                Lots of deer! We hunted 10 miles from town

Any axis around them parts?

Comment

I hunted that area, some years ago, for two seasons. There were some axis, probably a lot more now. There were some really nice bucks. There were some turkey also. I only saw one buck on the place we were on, it had a very large body, very large heavy rack.

Saw two different nice bucks along the highway, near the gate we used to get to where were were hunting. We had to go through about five other ranches to get where we were hunting. One of those bucks that I saw near the gate we went through off of the highway, was flat out a beast. Heavy rack, good width, tall tines, probably 16 points. I tried to get pictures of him, but he decided enough of the show and took off.

During the rut, there will be dead deer all up and down the sides of the roads. The place we were on, we saw very few deer, but the deer we did see were all big bodied. I was very surprised by the size of the bodies, I would have guessed the deer out there were be small, but I was wrong.
                  Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 11-15-2021, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Appreciate all the insight so far!

Comment

Originally posted by BaylorHunter3 View Post
                      Any axis around them parts?

Yes there are pockets of them. On our place we didn’t see many of camera but they are there. Before we sold the place we saw good herds

Comment

Had a buddy with a place out there. One of those 50-acre ranchero things. Someone had divided 2000 acres into 40 tracts and sold them. A whole lot of that going on all over that area. There's some cool stuff to hunt out that way, but I'd take some time and see what's around you there. You get a place that's big enough to support 15-20 hunters that's got 40 hunters AND their families hunting it, and game doesn't grow very big and can be tough to come by. I hunted there once a season for three seasons before he sold the place, and killed small does every year. Never got a shot at anything else. He'd get a very rare picture of an exotic on his place.

Comment

Working...
                        X