Need info on Tx Prairie Dog hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need info on Tx Prairie Dog hunting

I figured the TBH Braintrust knows more than Google so here I am asking for direction. I HAVE used the search function but most of the info was pre-Covid.

I have TWIN 12 yr old GRANDSONS and want to take them PD hunting in the TX panhandle for their 13th birthday June 2022. We have three 223 bolt actions, three 22-250 bolt actions, several 22 & 17 rim fires, and an undisclosed number of EVIL AR’s to pick from so firepower isn’t a problem. I mainly need suggestions on locations. Thanks to all that contribute.
    Last edited by Tejas Wildlife; 10-19-2021, 09:10 PM.

Tag

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

I would start with a place like Whitestone ranch near Stratford and contact private land owners going west though the Rita Blanca , most are in the database like ON X

Comment

Thank you Sir!

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
        I would start with a place like Whitestone ranch near Stratford and contact private land owners going west though the Rita Blanca , most are in the database like ON X
        I will try that.

Comment

Tagged as well. Are there any Pdogs left in Tx? Heard they were wiped out couple years ago from disease.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
            Tagged as well. Are there any Pdogs left in Tx? Heard they were wiped out couple years ago from disease.
            I know the ones I shot heavily from about 1997 to 2004 are sure enough gone from eastern NM. There are still some around, but not the numbers like there were, and barely enough to go shoot on purpose.

Here in Lubbock they're like town rats. Everywhere in town, every vacant lot, etc, but not shootable.

Comment

They have been keeping them poisoned out around Clayton NM and North Texas where I used to hunt. We used to have some fantastic hunts up there.

Comment

Back around 2013-2014 I used to hunt some pretty large towns up near Hereford while in college at WTAMU. The ranchers used to tell me it was $5 for everyone I missed lol. Unfortunately I took a couple months off of shooting them while studying for finals and came back to find the majority of them had been poisoned :/

Comment

I saw some by Dalhart last week. I don't know who owns that land but there was a bunch out there.

Comment

I've never paid to shoot prairie dogs.A friend of mine had a deer lease near Memphis,Tx..We went to a cafe there one morning,early..Talked to a few men that had farms/ranches..Next thing we knew,we had a couple hundred thousand acres to shoot prairiedogs on!
                    I haven't been back in 10 yrs,but we had places that were all the way into the panhandle of Oklahoma..I'll look n see if I can find Darrel's #.He's the one that turned us on to all the other landowners

Comment

Thank you!

Originally posted by Hart8 View Post
                      I've never paid to shoot prairie dogs.A friend of mine had a deer lease near Memphis,Tx..We went to a cafe there one morning,early..Talked to a few men that had farms/ranches..Next thing we knew,we had a couple hundred thousand acres to shoot prairiedogs on!
                      I haven't been back in 10 yrs,but we had places that were all the way into the panhandle of Oklahoma..I'll look n see if I can find Darrel's #.He's the one that turned us on to all the other landowners
                      I appreciate your help. The twins other Papa is a great guy that takes them to lots of places/trips but I am basically the Hunting/Fishing Papa. Love my kids!!!

Comment

In my opinion it was a waste of time and money just to go shoot grass rats. Probably fun if you live out there and before high ammo prices. Just my thoughts. We also had a very shady “guide” so maybe I just had a bad experience. Went with a group of guys that had already set it up. My grandpa and uncle in Amarillo used to go a quite a bit I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
                          I appreciate your help. The twins other Papa is a great guy that takes them to lots of places/trips but I am basically the Hunting/Fishing Papa. Love my kids!!!
                          I am in the exact same situation. Have two grandsons (14 and 16) that have been shooting all their lives (4-H shooting sports and a couple of local deer/hogs) but have never been challenged like with Pdogs at longer ranges. Looking for such a hunt also. Good luck with your search, and keep us posted.

Comment

I have a place to go, but this year it hasn’t been worth going to. Their numbers are way down compared to what they were.

Comment

A lot of the dog towns I shoot at are getting poisoned out. That's normally what happens. It sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X