Teach me concrete biz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teach me concrete biz?

Any concrete contractors on here willing to spend a half hour with me teaching me concrete basics? I need to learn how to estimate driveways/patios.

Rick

Basic 4” concrete on paper is 81sqft a yard, in life figure 72sqft a yard. What else you want to know?

Comment

Length x Width x Thickness (.xx) = ***

***/27 gives you total yards of concrete needed.

Figure out what your cost per sqft is for vapor barrier and rebar and you will know your cost for a given job.

Most folks around my part just charge a flat Sqft fee…… 5/sqft for a basic slab. Obviously that price will change with cost of material fluctuations over time but in general the price will be fairly flat for a given month.

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post
        Basic 4” concrete on paper is 81sqft a yard, in life figure 72sqft a yard. What else you want to know?
        What’s the subcontractor rate for form, pour and finish per sq/ft?

Comment

Originally posted by rickgarcia76 View Post

Differs from sub to sub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
            Differs from sub to sub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I’m sure. But there must be an average. Or a general range.

Comment

Are you operating in Austin? San Antone? Dallas? Or bum fukc Tejas? Locale labor rate matters.

Austin…think rich dumb white people rates…especially West Lake.
              San Antonio…think rich dumb brown people rates.
              Dallas…think Big hair rates.
              Bum fukc Tejas…think breakfast tacos.

China aint shipping concrete on a boat waiting off the coast.

Comment

Really hard to say.It depends on thickness,ground,rebar,where it is do you need a pump,a wheelbarrow,or just shoot it out,Does it have beams,slopes what’s the finish.Is it a small pour you get charged a minimum fee or is it acres.I don’t do a lot of big stuff any more.I think the last patio and sidewalk we did in a backyard with #4 rebar 18” on a prepared grade with a light broom finish 5 inch thick was 8 bucks a square foot but only a 15 yd pour.If it was in front yard and twice as much probably would have been 6 to 7 a foot.I’m probably a little on the high side but we don’t do it regularly and kinda have to make it worth our time.There are a lot of variables especially with the cost of everything week to week.If you miss something on a large pour even 25 cents a square ft can add up fast.

Comment

It really is all over the map. I had slab poured last year because so didn’t feel like messing with it. In one week I got 3 bids for the same job and gave them all the same specs that I wanted. Lowest was 4/sqft then 5.50/sqft and then 11/sqft.

In my area if you shop around you can usually find someone who does good work for $5-$6/sqft for a basic slab.

Just a tip…..for around here at least, don’t wear your plant nomex while getting bids. They just see a guy who makes stupid OT money and will often bid it like you got money to burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                    Are you operating in Austin? San Antone? Dallas? Or bum fukc Tejas? Locale labor rate matters.

Austin…think rich dumb white people rates…especially West Lake.
                    San Antonio…think rich dumb brown people rates.
                    Dallas…think Big hair rates.
                    Bum fukc Tejas…think breakfast tacos.

China aint shipping concrete on a boat waiting off the coast.
                    Houston area

Comment

Working...
                    X