No announcement yet.

200 Square Foot Tiny Workshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how are you getting around the electrical permitting? Asking for a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
      how are you getting around the electrical permitting? Asking for a friend.
      Per conversation with the city, as long as I was not adding a separate electric service to the building itself, I was good to go. I'm using a licensed electrician (my dad) for the hookup between the 2 structures. The building itself is unpermitted as it's under the 200 sq ft threshold for in-city structures.

Comment

The power is on, and I spent this weekend getting the workshop insulated! Here in south Texas, we are not getting any autumn weather yet, so it was hot, sweaty, itchy work, especially wearing long sleeves and a mask.

I started with the ceiling, so that was a full day working over my head. I am pleased with the results.

There was a lot more to do to finish out the walls, though that work went a lot smoother.

I cut it WAY too close on the amount of material I bought, but I was able to use every scrap to finish out the walls. I do plan to go back with some expanding foam to fill in the corners, and that should cover everything.

It's amazing how much this made a difference in sound! It's so much quieter in here, and that's going to be great for filming my videos. Speaking of which, this episode is live, and I will link to it below.

Comment

Check out the insulation installation video! It's a pretty straightforward process, so I had some fun with timelapse shots.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM-j4GYBcp8"]Installing Insulation in the Tiny Workshop | Part 12 - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for watching!

Comment

This is coming along great. Am enjoying watching the progress. Good job sir.

Comment

Again, Great Work!!!

Comment

I am pleased to share the next stage in this tiny workshop build. I spent some time installing 3/8" plywood as the wall covering inside the shop, and it turned out great! I still have to trim things out, but it's awesome having a (near) finished look inside.

I originally planned to use 5mm poplar plywood from Lowes, as it was one of the less expensive options, and looked nice. However, about the time I was set to go buy it, it jumped considerably in price - almost a 50% increase! I then opted for the 3/8" which was a few bucks cheaper, and I figured having the extra thickness would work out better in the long run. I needed 27 sheets to complete the shop, which worked out to about 900+ pounds of lumber.

Once I got some final trim pieces in place, and cleared out the shop, I began installing the ceiling panels. I screwed a couple scrap boards together to screw to the top plate of the wall hold the bottom of the plywood, and pre-drilled all my screw holes to help the solo installation go smoother. Other than some on-the-fly readjustments, it went ok - just slow and steady.

I bought the WEN Track Saw a while back, paired with 2 Powertec Tracks, and I used the heck out of it for this stage of the build. It was nice to simply line up my marks and go, and be confident of a straight, accurate cut. I used the stock blade for this, and it worked just fine, though I will definitely be buying a better blade for future projects.

Putting up the wall panels was easier, though still slow-going, since I wanted to ensure all my measurements were dead-on, especially for the outlets and fixtures. There are a few places that I'll notice where things aren't perfect, but I'm pleased for the most part. I did screw up one panel around the door, where I measured an inset and cut from the wrong side, but it was nothing a scrap piece of ply couldn't fill in. I didn't total it up, but I used almost an entire 1,000 piece box of 1.5" screws here.

I probably took more time than necessary on this stage, just being careful in my measuring and cutting. I spent 4 days getting this done, so putting up that last panel felt really, really good. Once I get the trim around the doors, windows, and edges, the interior will basically be done and ready to actually do some shop work!

I put a lot of detail of my progress into the video, so you can see how it all came together. I'll post that below.

Comment

As I said above, this video shows a lot of the progression of the work, as well as some detail in my measuring and cutting. I hope you enjoy!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olq9LlfVDHM"]Finishing the Tiny Workshop Walls with Plywood Panels | Part 13 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

And just like that, 7 months later, the build is done! I finished up the interior trim, and painted the outside. I am very pleased with the results, and I can't wait to get in there and start working on projects!

I had the paint matched to our house paint. It's hard to see here, but the match is outstanding, especially with the stucco pattern Hardie on the shop and the real stucco on the house.

I'm loving the plywood interior, and the trim brings everything together well.

I've been moving my tools back into the space, and I'm going to purge some of the stuff before I move it in. Ideally, this needs to stay as clean and organized as I can make it to be usable.

The end of the build is only the beginning, so from here on out, I'll be posted my projects and builds in this thread. Thanks for following along!!!

Comment

I buckled down and got things knocked out in this video. I cut down 8.5 hours of footage into this 12.5 minutes.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgmPLJUGRKw"]The 200 Square Foot Tiny Workshop is Finished! - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Do you like the lights you ended up with on the interior? I've got a tac room in our new barn that i'm using as my workshop that needs a little more light.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
                            Do you like the lights you ended up with on the interior? I've got a tac room in our new barn that i'm using as my workshop that needs a little more light.
                            Yes, I like them a lot! Since I will not only be working on projects, but filming at the same time, I like that I can tilt the "petals" of each unit to shift light around. In this small space, they are super-bright!

Comment

That turned out fantastic sir. I have enjoyed following along.

Comment

Turned out Goode!

Any specific reason why you hand painted versus using a sprayer? I understand using a brush around the trim, but that was some work with the roller.

Comment

Working...
                                X