Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a timney trigger worth the time a new expense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
    I’m a sub MOA fan , so a better trigger for the 788 is coming
    I bought a savage axis and terrible trigger and flimsy stock had it up for sale quickly .
    then 100% worth is .. and as you take it apart , don't overlook the stock and possible issues/improvements there too ...

Comment

I was having trigger issues with a Remington 700 22.250. I talked to a gunsmith and he was going to replace it with a triggertech. I did a little research and ordered the triggertech myself. I had never changed a trigger out so I went to youtube. There were plenty of youtube videos that walked through changing the trigger out. It was simple and took about 15 minutes. I didn't have some of the specific tools that a gunsmith would use but I improvised.

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
        then 100% worth is .. and as you take it apart , don't overlook the stock and possible issues/improvements there too ...
        Yeah It’s pillar bedded stock , so next is trigger

Comment

I made a dumb mistake and dropped the action when I was prying it out of the stock for the first time after bedding it. Fell right on the trigger and snapped it. Replaced it with a Timney and couldn’t be happier. I think it’s only 2 pins, easy to do.

…that’s on a 700
          Last edited by RedYote; 11-04-2021, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Well worth it, DIY job. Dad and I shoot the same savage model rifle (different calibers) and there is no comparison on trigger feel.

Comment

Timmney, Jewell or Trigger tech. All worth the money. Next to good glass is the trigger. I'd do it

Comment

Originally posted by HTOWN View Post
                Timmney, Jewell or Trigger tech. All worth the money. Next to good glass is the trigger. I'd do it
                Ditto.

Comment

Easy DIY and a very nice upgrade.

Comment

Simple DIY, easy upgrade to your rifle and well worth the time and money!

Comment

Done it, Timney on an AR and a Remington 600. If my other rifles (Tikka's) didn't already have great triggers I would change them as well.

It's easy. Buy abut $30.00 worth of tools and you'll be surprised how often you use them and will do more of your own stuff. Get a set of gunsmith brass pins and a plastic punch block for this trigger job. Years ago I bought the Wheeler Fat Wrench to properly torque when mounting scopes and actions to stocks.

It's not so much about saving a few bucks by doing it yourself, but the satisfaction and convenience of stepping to your own bench being done in a few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                        I bought a Remington 788 .308 and the trigger seems inconsistent.
                        Is it worth it to replace? Is it a gunsmith job or a DIY project ?
                        It is absolutely worth it on a 788! I have one and swapped out the trigger. The stock trigger was horrible by comparison.

Comment

For sure

Comment

As far as DIY, I had to remove a few shavings on the inlet of the stock to allow the body of the trigger assy to not contact the wood.

Comment

I've had 2 788s and still have one of them. As long as I am shooting sub-moa groups I figure there can't be too much wrong with the trigger, and the ones I've had will shoot like that all day long.

Comment

I reworked my own 308 trigger with new springs etc... Browning XBolt... DIY...

Comment

Working...
                                X