Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can you tell me about this old pump .22 rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can you tell me about this old pump .22 rifle?

A very close friend (Roger) inherited this rifle from his mother. It was her fathers rifle that he bought from Sears in late 40’s to early 50’s. The grandfather passed away before Roger was born and had served in WWII in Africa, Italy, & France before returning stateside. The rifle has “Ranger” & .22LR markings on it.

Any suggestions as to where he should research? As always, Many Thanks to the TBH Braintrust!!
    Attached Files

Looks similar to my Remington Model 12
    Shoots 22 shorts,long and long rifle cartridges

Comment

Google ranger pump .22
      Says savage made them for Sears

Comment

I have one just like it that was my granddads, no idea how many shots I put through it as a kid and no idea what it’s worth to anyone else but it’s priceless to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Highbridge hand View Post
          Google ranger pump .22
          Says savage made them for Sears

Yep, it's a Winchester Model 61 look-a-like made by Savage...

Comment

I’ve got a Winchester that looks extremely similar to it. It’s in my dads safe, otherwise I’d post a pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s gonna be a Savage 29, 29a, or 29b.

If it’s the older one, there will be a steel ball under that slide bar, that functions as the cartridge stop. The reason I mention this, is because it is often lost when taking apart/cleaning the gun. You’ll know it’s missing if you try to shoot the gun and it is jamming up/“double feeding”. Also, if it occasionally doesn’t want to fire when you pull the trigger, push slightly FORWARD on the forearm, instead of pulling the forearm/gun into your shoulder. They’re a little touchy. The “interlock” that keeps it from being fired, if the action is open at all, is very sensitive, and pulling BACK on the forearm is sometimes enough pressure on the bolt to keep them from firing (could also be that mine is just near worn out).

Comment

Had one like it that was a Savage, first gun I ever owned. My Dad gave it to me when I was 12 yrs old. Some sorry SOB broke into my deer camp house & broke into the gun safe and stole it a couple yrs ago.
                Shot more armadillos, squirrels, & meadow larks w it than you could shake a stick at.

Comment

I appreciate all the help!

Comment

Working...
                  X