No announcement yet.

200 Square Foot Tiny Workshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't got a ton done on the tiny workshop lately. Between almost daily rain, and other house priorities, I have only been able to finish up the siding - which I'm certainly pleased about! I don't like working with the Hardie material, though I'm confident it will pay off in the long run.

I shored up the gable ends, which I was dreading, since I'd be working off the ground, and having to be precise with angle cuts. It ended up being a non-issue, and I was able to knock it out over 2 evenings after work.

I took my time with the measuring and marking out the cut lines

The panels require a 1/4 inch gap between the bottom and the flashing, so I used a couple of 6" drill bits to rest the panels on as I nailed them into place

As humid as it's been here in Rockport, any time I cut Hardie, I'm coated with a significant dusting that sticks to my sweat. It's pretty gross. The Diablo Hardie Blade has been a perfect investment for this project. It cuts through the siding like nothing!

I'm glad to have the siding done. Next step is to figure out the soffit. I've got the supplies, and just need to block out all the attachment points under the gable ends and along the sides.

I'll be posting the video soon. I appreciate all of you who are following along here, and subscribing to the YouTube channel!

Comment

The gable end siding video is live! It's a little shorter than typical, but gives a good overview on the process. Check it out:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2mnQC-1aks"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2mnQC-1aks[/ame]

Thanks for following along!

Comment

Following

Comment

Progress updates??

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen View Post
            Progress updates??
            We've had a TON of rain lately, and we've been out of town, so no updates yet. I have all the supplies to knock out the soffits, then I can focus on getting the electrical in. Stay tuned!

Comment

Awesome build!!!! Looking great!

Comment

It's been a while but I'm still plugging away on the workshop. I finally have the soffits installed, and the shop is all closed up.

This part required a lot of extra framing and blocking to support the thin Hardie soffit material.

The worst part of the Hardie panels is cutting them. Even with a good quality Hardie blade, there is a lot of dust, which gets all over you when you're sweating the Texas heat and humidity.

The side perforated quarter inch soffit panels came in 12 foot lengths, and these were near impossible to handle by myself without breaking them, so I cut them down to 4-foot lengths to make the install go easier on me.

For the end gables, I ripped down quarter inch 4x8 Hardie sheets to size. My wife helped hold the panels on the front side, and I ended up building a jig to hold them on the back side (this worked much better).

I'm glad to have this part done, and the shop closed in. I still have some trim to install, and of course, I will be caulking and painting, but this gets me to a good point to start working on the inside. First thing - running electrical.

I'll post the video link below for the soffit install. Thanks to all of you for following along!

Comment

The soffit install video is live! This was a more process-heavy install than I was expecting, so the video is a bit longer than typical, but I think it turned out pretty good.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr2UZRnhPqQ"]Adding Soffits by Myself on the Tiny Workshop | Part 10 - YouTube[/ame]

Enjoy!

Comment

Cool!

Comment

Originally posted by viesun
                      It's very cool to follow how you fulfill your little dream. To build your own workshop is probably the dream of any man. However, not everyone can afford this. I am very glad that in the end everything turned out very cool for you. I hope that after you finish with your workshop, you will not stop producing videos! My friend is just like you a YouTuber. However, my friend has a slightly different type of channel, he is engaged in creating various props from movies and games. In the past, he was mainly engaged in marine engineering. But after many years of working in the army, he decided that it was time to do something else and now runs his own channel. In general, I hope everything will be as good for you as for my friend!
                      Thank you! I'm certainly keeping up with the videos as I go. I'm currently working on the electrical, and that's going a little slower than I planned, but I will have the video posted not long after I finish that stage.

I've been in the YouTube game for a while now (my other channel, The Goode Life Outdoors, is actually pulling in a bit of income), and hope to continue to build this channel through building and setting up this workshop, then as I work on all the projects I have planned (and that are yet to come). I love doing things myself, so I have high hopes to grow this channel. I'll invite all of y'all to subscribe if this is something of interest - it would certainly help me out!

Originally posted by Alieser

In my opinion, you can't just take it and start uploading everything to YouTube. Being a YouTuber is much more difficult than it seems.
                      Absolutely! I have been learning as I go, and it's a beast of a platform to get into and be successful. My outdoor channel took about a year to get any traction, and this one is a bit slower than I was expecting. I'm committed to improving and growing as much as I can. I'd love to make this a full-time gig, but I definitely a ways off on that.

Comment

I've not been idle in the pause in posting. Lately, I've been working on running the electrical in the shop. My dad is a licensed electrician, and as a kid, I often went with him on jobs to help run wire (mostly wriggling into tight spaces), so this kind of work is familiar - though I found I was a bit rusty. Case in point - I bought the wrong 12 gauge wire so I spent a good deal more time stripping out the stiffer ground-burial-rated stuff. Oh well, live and learn.

I installed an 8-breaker sub panel and will have 60 amp service from the house panel.

A neighbor lent me his Hole Hawg to get the outlet holes drilled. This thing is a beast, and a lot of fun to run. It certainly made quick work of the wall holes.

Running wires went quick, as it was what I was most experienced with. I really enjoyed this part.

Filling the sub panel completely made it a bit of a challenge to wire neatly, but I'm pleased with how it all turned out.

As it sits today, all the interior switches, plugs, lights, and the breaker box are wired up and ready for power.

My house panel is an older style CH panel, and I was unable to find the correct breakers locally. My dad was able to get the 60 amp breaker at his local supply house, so I am picking that up this weekend and getting the power on by Sunday!

The video turned out pretty good for this one, and it will be live later today. I'll post here once it's set.

Comment

The electrical video is live! If you enjoy watching someone drill holes and run wires, this video is for you. :LOL:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uQjJBfH9g8"]Running Electrical to the Tiny Workshop | Part 11 - YouTube[/ame]

Enjoy! As always, feel free to send me feedback!

Comment

That's one of the cleanest electrical installs I've ever seen!

Comment

Sweet build!

Comment

Originally posted by kmack View Post
                                That's one of the cleanest electrical installs I've ever seen!
                                Wow, thanks so much! It probably took about 5 times longer than a pro, but I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Comment

Working...
                                X