Auto Mechanical Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Mechanical Help Needed

My son put a clutch in his car. First test drive all is well in 1st, shifts to 2nd, let’s off the clutch then heard a loud bang or pop and now no forward or reverse gears. Drive shaft is not turning. Curious what it might be before we tear it all back apart. 2001 BMW 330i. Thanks in advance.

Does it have a throwout bearing?

Comment

Brand new with the clutch kit.

Comment

I’m thinking trans let go on the inside.

Comment

How does the pedal feel when he pushes it in? Does it hang or it there any resistance? I bet something ni the clutch pack popped out of place and has bound the drive train up.

Comment

Slave cylinder?

Comment

At what RPM did he dump clutch into 2nd?

Can you shift through gears with clutch engaged but no output from trans?

Sounds a lot like something inside trans

Comment

No change in pedal. Slave is working. Car can be pushed while in gear. Not sure on RPM. No transfer of power in any gear.
                Last edited by TXUSMC; 11-19-2021, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Whatever it is, you are going to have to tear it apart. Whatever happened is not normal. I would almost say the disc is some cheap piece and it just broke in some form, rivets, broke the splined hub loose from the outer part of the hub.

The transmission may have just taken a crap.

I have blown up a brand new Ford Motorsport heavy duty disc, the old beast clutches before the King Cobras. Blew it up on the second pass down the track, right after we put it in. Took all of the friction material off the disc, then when I pushed the clutch in, it packed all of the pieces of friction material on one side of the pressure plate and made it direct drive. The clutch pedal was just swinging.

That was the replacement clutch for a brand new Zoom clutch, that I smoked on the first test drive. If that car was not killing tires, it was killing the clutch or the rear end. Blew the rear end up, 50 yards from the driveway, right after we finished building the car.

It's hard to say what is broken, but something is definitely broken. Does it make any noises, when you put it in gear and let the clutch out?

Comment

Sounds like the Tail shift on the transmission is toast

Comment

No noises with clutch pedal engagement. We’re gonna pull it, was just curious if there was a magic trick.

Comment

Had my old Chevy truck do that when turning 1 day. Main shaft in tranny broke. Had to rebuild the trans.

Comment

So what we found was the center splined section of the clutch disc is not fixed to the rest of the disc. You can turn it by hand freely independent of the disc. Is that supposed to be that way? Nothing else looks out of sorts.

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSMC View Post
                            So what we found was the center splined section of the clutch disc is not fixed to the rest of the disc. You can turn it by hand freely independent of the disc. Is that supposed to be that way? Nothing else looks out of sorts.

It shouldn't do that

Comment

I didn’t think so, but it’s a BMW. It turns so smooth it’s like it’s supposed to be that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X