Did MLD ruin opening day in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did MLD ruin opening day in Texas

First off I am a big mld fan, however I was talking to a friend the other day and I told them I really miss opening weekend pre mld. When I was a kid first Saturday of November was a holiday. All the teachers all the kids would talk about it all week then on that next Monday the few successful hunters would show off their kills. Now at least here in East Texas every club makes their own rules when to start and there is no big special day for everyone. Even for those of us who bow hunted ( sure was nice not to hear gunshots all day during bow season) felt that first day of general season was special. Sometimes I just miss the simpler times pre cell phone back when a corn feeder was a 5 gallon bucket with a stick in a hole in the bottom the deer bumped for corn

NO

Comment

No one is making you stay on that MLD lease. There’s plenty of places in East Texas you can still put a 5 gallon bucket with a stick in it to hunt. My lease isn’t MLD. I look forward to opening day every year. Goods times will be had at deer camp.

Comment

It's not nearly as special as it used to be. Being pulled out of school at lunch on the Friday before the opener was awesome.

Comment

I'm looking forward to Opening Day in Sabine National Forest. You can keep all the MLDs.

Comment

Yeah I really miss all those days of hunting east TX and maybe seeing a single deer in a season, let alone kill one.

No thank you.

Comment

Bow season starts a month earlier. Always has.

Comment

The only opening day for me is Archery opening. I do not have to listen to the gun shots.

Comment

Not the special weekend it once was, feel the same way about archery opener since the arrow guns got legalized for able-bodied men.

Comment

90* temps ruined opening day for me.

I used to have to hunt it because of tradition but I'd rather make opening dove and get to the deer when it's cooler.

Comment

MLD has its own opening day. Doesn't change anything. I don't hunt MLD for what it's worth.

Comment

Opening day has been bow season long before MLD... Not on MLD currently so its still bow season.

Comment

Maybe in certain areas of the state but in east Texas there is no closed season

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
                            The only opening day for me is Archery opening. I do not have to listen to the gun shots.
                            Well, opening day of bow season is opening day of MLD season. So if your neighbors are MLD you just might hear gunshots.

Comment

I know what you are saying but I have been a bowhunter all but the first two years I deer hunted. For me opening day is always October 1(or the bow opener). Now down south the dove opener was always a big social event. And up here in the panhandle the pheasant opener was a big deal. Yes, some people abuse the MLD system but overall I love it! Has made a huge difference on the hill country deer I hunt and gives landowners an effective means to control numbers.

Comment

Working...
                              X