Help with Homestead Site Planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are moving toward getting out of town and into the Country. I am really struggling with Site Planning of our home and outbuildings.

I plan to build the following structures:

Metal Building Workshop (approx 50x80 with a 25x80 lean-to)
    Custom Home (4k sf ish)
    Man Cave (1500 sf ish - possibly connected to the workshop)
    Swimming Pool with Pool House
    Enlarging Existing Tank to 1.5 acres (below house)

This is on Family Land so I really need to get it right the first time. If I could come up with a plan, the Workshop would start tomorrow.

The designers I have spoken with can design a house but do not have much experience in designing a Homestead. I am looking for two different things from the Green Screen - photos/plans of your setup with what you like and don't like - or recommendations for a professional designer for something like this.

Thanks in advance.

That’s gonna be a heck of a place! We have 3 out of those four (no man cave here, maybe next place) and I really wouldn’t change anything. I think you have the right idea of trying to plan the whole thing before you start. I planned underground utilities and irrigation months before the slab on the house was poured. Factors to always keep in mind while planning: direction the building is facing (for sun purposes) and the prevailing winds.

Comment

Originally posted by Drop Tine View Post
      That’s gonna be a heck of a place! We have 3 out of those four (no man cave here, maybe next place) and I really wouldn’t change anything. I think you have the right idea of trying to plan the whole thing before you start. I planned underground utilities and irrigation months before the slab on the house was poured. Factors to always keep in mind while planning: direction the building is facing (for sun purposes) and the prevailing winds.
      I agree with this. While I do not own land or my house, I would also add Propane at least to the shop with a way to hook up a stove if the power were to go out or have a solar or small wind turbine or backup generator set up to have power for necessities in case loss of power.

Comment

I think the best place to start would be to show an aerial photo of site with existing utility access labeled.

Comment

Originally posted by ateagleton View Post
          I think the best place to start would be to show an aerial photo of site with existing utility access labeled.
          Agreed

Comment

Wow thats gonna be nice. Gonna be extremely expensive though.

Yep you are going to need to start an aerial photo or a drawing with all the existing utilities/roads trees you want to keep etc. It needs to be to scale. Then you can make little cutouts if the buildings etc.

Then you will need to think about how you want the access to the house/garage and shop. Think about backing large trailers, maneuvering them etc.

What you want the view to be like? Do you want the view clear to the pond out back or cluttered with many different buildings?

What your describing has a lot going on. Might be better to consolidate some of the buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by ateagleton View Post
              This for sure! Show elevation as well for drainage/runoff.

Comment

we built what is pretty close to what you are talking about....
                This is an old pic from during construction.

And now we are about to do it all over again on a new place.

T - tractor shed
                B - barn
                H - house
                LQ - living quarters/guest house
                K - dog kennel

Orange lines are driveways.

Next one will have a little more space between the kennel and the house and the house and the barn.

From the house, you don't see the barn or the tractor shed because the sight lines are blocked by the garage.

All the windows on the house face north, east and south.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inkedsite plan_LI.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	24657385
                Last edited by Atfulldraw; 07-26-2021, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                  we built what is pretty close to what you are talking about....
                  This is an old pic from during construction.

And now we are about to do it all over again on a new place.

T - tractor shed
                  B - barn
                  H - house
                  LQ - living quarters/guest house
                  K - dog kennel

Orange lines are driveways.

Next one will have a little more space between the kennel and the house and the house and the barn.

From the house, you don't see the barn or the tractor shed because the sight lines are blocked by the garage.

All the windows on the house face north, east and south.

[ATTACH]1056800[/ATTACH]

That is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. I will post a layout of our property tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                    Wow thats gonna be nice. Gonna be extremely expensive though.

Yep you are going to need to start an aerial photo or a drawing with all the existing utilities/roads trees you want to keep etc. It needs to be to scale. Then you can make little cutouts if the buildings etc.

Then you will need to think about how you want the access to the house/garage and shop. Think about backing large trailers, maneuvering them etc.

What you want the view to be like? Do you want the view clear to the pond out back or cluttered with many different buildings?

What your describing has a lot going on. Might be better to consolidate some of the buildings.

In Baton Rouge on my .87 acres that would be well over 1 mil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                      In Baton Rouge on my .87 acres that would be well over 1 mil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      Ive got an acre with a smaller house(3500 sq ft) 3 car garage, swimming pool, and 55x70 shop.

Our pool house is going to be up against the house to keep it from being too cluttered. Bathroom, shower, small storage area. Ill get it done before next summer.

What he listed will be closer to 1.5 million or more if I had to guess.

Comment

Look at how the water flows during torrential rains. You mentioned a tank below the house. It is amazing how much water will run down your lane or road into your yard when you build on a slope. That water flow does two things: it seeds your lawn with every plant growing on the hill above you and your lawn will slow the flow of water substantially, creating a shallow lake on the uphill side of your buildings. Make sure that the building pads are high enough to prevent water from coming in. I had to cut and maintain shallow water diversion ditches because of this.

Comment

Man I just went through this and had some of the same struggle. I ended up just spending a ton of time out there getting a feel for it. Sounds kind of hippy-ish, but it worked. You’re going to be living there a long time so you want to get it right.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X