Crossbows: School Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossbows: School Me

I know nothing. I don't know how to cock them, I don't know what I need, I don't know how to use them, never handled one.

However, I have a little boy that is ready to get in the woods and he is trigger shy with the .7-08 I bought him. He is 8 years old but he is a runt, like most 1st graders are bigger than him. On top of that, he's scared of his own shadow. He's shot a pile of rabbits with the .22 but it's time to step up to the plate. I believe a crossbow is the next step with little recoil and little sound.

Having said that, I aint spending $2500 on a crossbow. What do I really need and what do I need to know? This is all foreign to me.

Tyler

Andy (CastAndBlast) I'm talking to you. What is Brooks shooting?
    Last edited by tmurray; 07-19-2021, 09:44 PM.

Comment

You are welcome to come up and have him shoot mine if you want . It is a $700 tenpoint . That will give you an idea of most of the basics . I am home most every weekend and probably 20 min from cypress . The offer stands anytime . Robert

Comment

Crossbows are fun and I'm hoping to get my 6yo shooting one this fall. I bought a Barnett for about $300 brand new for another youth to use. They are wicked deadly. Great for kids. Do it and have fun.

Comment

I bought one 3 years ago simply because my shoulder ain't what it used to be. I paid $150 for it off of TBH classified. I took a buck with it about three weeks later. Now my eight year old grandson has already "inherited" it. He used it last season to take a hog, a deer and a turkey. See what you can find for a decent price. A cocking mechanism might come with it. If not, you can do a little research and see what it needs.

Comment

Just bought this center point 370 from academy. Sighted in at 20-50 yards. Fun to shoot. He won’t be able to cock it by himself. That’s where you come in. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cen...ossbow-package

Comment

Barnett has a youth model for less than $200

Comment

Crossbow is a great way to start a kid off hunting. My son had many of the same issues so he killed his first deer with a crossbow. Centerpoint package from academy is the best bang for the buck. For arrows/ broadheads I like a black eagle executioner arrow with either a grim reaper or a slick trick standard broadhead. I highly suggest lighted nocks so you can see his shot placement on an animal. Sight in at 20,30 and 40yds although honestly I only do 20 and 30 as just like a compound bow a lot can go wrong at farther distances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Went to an Excalibur Matrix Bulldog 380 after a Distracted Driver ended my Love of riding Motorcycles, 09 Jun 2017
                  Crushed Scapula, Broken Clavicle, and 8 of my 12 Ribs are broken.

Love my Excalibur. Easy to cock, VERY Accurate, and never need to see the Bow Shop. String change in the field if needed.

Comment

I have a ten point with the accu crank system. It lets you cock it using a crank. This makes it much safer and easier. I also have a field pod that it sets on to shoot. Crossbows are heavy and hard to control if you are free handing them. With the field pod my kids could shoot sub 1 inch groups at 30 yards with it. Both have killed hogs and deer with it. I have to admit it has grown on me as well. It is fun to shoot a every accurate. I shot a buck with it last year and completely severed his shoulder blade. He made it 30 yards tops. Good luck. It is a great way to get kids outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Masmak View Post
                      Just bought this center point 370 from academy. Sighted in at 20-50 yards. Fun to shoot. He won’t be able to cock it by himself. That’s where you come in. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cen...ossbow-package
                      ^^^This^^^
                      My shoulders are shot out. I bought the Centerpoint Sniper as my first xbow and I don’t see any reason to upgrade in the future. It’s a great bow for the money and will accurately kill anything I want to hunt.

Comment

Wicked Ridge Ranger. Its made by 10 point. Its built for a smaller frame people. It also has enlarged finger guards. I picked one up for so my kids could hunt with it. We put it on a tripod to help them be able to shoot it accurately. It cost a little more than the Centerpoint but it was worth it in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Masmak View Post
                          Thanks for sharing. I want to get my 8 yr old shooting a cross bow since he doesn't pull enough weight to use his compound.

Comment

CenterPoint Sniper 370 is the best “ bolt “ for the buck.

Comment

I used to have a Parker Challenger that got stolen. I don't think they make it any more but make a similar model. I liked it as it was adjustable on many fronts (draw weight, stock, etc.) and it had extra built in safety devices (anti dry fire, safety, finger guards, etc.). My son shot his first deer with it and my other son shot his first pig with it. I would recommend one if you can find it.

Comment

Working...
                              X