No announcement yet.

The proper way to measure pipe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya but if working in the field with certain jobs you need to know the OD so you know what tools etc to use. If you just called it 2” you’d be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by swamprabbit59 View Post
      Ya but if working in the field with certain jobs you need to know the OD so you know what tools etc to use. If you just called it 2” you’d be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      That's just because they had to simplify things for those field hands.

Comment

In my world they're called culverts and the smallest sizes start at your largest size, just in case we're measuring

Comment

Thanks for the lesson. Even though I have been in the steel industry for 25 years, and know that 2” pipe is 2-3/8” OD and 2-1/2” pipe is 2-7/8” OD, I still sometimes reference the pipe by OD, if referring to the NPS would confuse the conversation with someone who may not be familiar with the industry standard nomenclature for pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
            I sell and deal with Pipe and Tubing all the time on the Hydraulic and pneumatics side. People are always like well its just a standard thread.... There are no more standard threads in today world. i deal with about 25 different ways to seal off a fitting on a daily basis.

You really blow there mind when they put a tape measure on 1/4NPT threads and they measure roughly 1/2". They will try to tell you its 1/2NPT... Happens weekly.
            I am in the metric and American hydraulics field and see this daily also. I always hear “I have a standard metric fitting.” 😂

Comment

Take a piece of scrap to the gettin place, and buy the **** that works.

Pipe is round, tubing gots corners.

Comment

I install PVC, CMP, HDPE and RCP..... from 1" to 144", I.D. is all that we ever go by.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                  I install PVC, CMP, HDPE and RCP..... from 1" to 144", I.D. is all that we ever go by.

No DIP?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    Maybe, but you're also worried about how another man measures his pipe
                    Quackerbox for the win!

Comment

I am a piping design manager (by day). Your assessment is correct, BUT when pipe is used as drill stem, it is usually called out by the actual OD. All process piping is called out by the NPT size, which as mentioned above, doesn't match the actual OD until you get to 14".

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                        :d

[ATTACH]1072451[/ATTACH]
                        Priceless !!!

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                          I sell and deal with Pipe and Tubing all the time on the Hydraulic and pneumatics side. People are always like well its just a standard thread.... There are no more standard threads in today world. i deal with about 25 different ways to seal off a fitting on a daily basis.

You really blow there mind when they put a tape measure on 1/4NPT threads and they measure roughly 1/2". They will try to tell you its 1/2NPT... Happens weekly.
                          Had a drawing come down the other day to run on my lathe. The part was .250 dia by about 4.000 long. They wanted a O.D. 1/4" NPT on the end.
                          Last edited by Goldeneagle; 12-02-2021, 07:45 AM.

Comment

On the inspection side of this.... we have to be specific in pipe size reference due to the fact the total weld length determines the size of weld discontinuity allowed as per code. This is especially crucial when dealing with 2 3/8" vs. 2 7/8". We have had inspectors as well as welders refer to both pipe sizes as "two inch".

piece out!

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                              every type of pipe I've ever called out was classified by OD, then wall thickness and grade. drift where applicable.

OD matters when it's inside an annulus.

Yep, ID don’t matter much when fabricating. Thanks for sharing OP, knowing I have your chart at my disposal brings me piece

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                                Yep, ID don’t matter much when fabricating. Thanks for sharing OP, knowing I have your chart at my disposal brings me piece
                                I'm glad I could bring someone a little PIECE of mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X