Aging parents and guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brinkley View Post
    I thought about this as well. They said he uses snap caps to function the gun. Does it still “click” with the firing pin removed.
    mike what guns are you talking about specifically, i might be able to help

already have been through the alzheimers with dad and dementia with mom,, both of them are gone now
    Last edited by xman59; 11-25-2021, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      Lots of good advise here. Now you need to go see your father's doctor and also get ahold of the alsheimers assn and get a handle on what's to come. Your going to have to prepare yourself for some much more difficult decision in your father's future. My mother had it and is the most devastating disease you can imagine. Try to prepare yourself and your family.
      True in every way. My mom had it and it’s a horrible disease to watch it take over your loved one.

Comment

I have to agree that alz & dementia are some of the worst diseases to watch as they progress. I pray for any family that gas to go thru the heartache that comes with dealing with either. Dad had it and luckily the driving part was easy as he figured out on his own that it wasn't safe for him to drive. Unfortunately the gun situation was not as easy and when he pulled his pistol on my wife after calling her over to his house to help him get cleaned up I had to put every gun in the safe and change the combo. It was the second hardest things I had to do next to putting him in a care home when he began refusing to let us care for him. He was still lucid part of the time and it was a hard fight keeping his guns away but for his safety and everyone else's I did what had to done.

Comment

Vehicles, guns, stoves. Bless everyone that has to deal with aging family.

Comment

I'm with the guy that said when I get to that point, just shoot me. Maybe I'll take a long hike in some National Forest.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
              You won't even realize it when it happens.....
              Fact

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                Never had to deal with the gun issue, but did have a similar issue with m-i-l and her car. Her dementia had gotten so bad the car stayed "in the shop".

I would remove the guns right now--
                X2, same issue with my MIL. Before taking her keys away, she would need to drive to Fort Worth and end up in Denton. Based on my family experience with dementia, take the guns away.

Comment

Originally posted by TransPecos View Post
                  We secretly had firing pins removed by the gunsmith while she was at the beauty shop. We were scared Mamaw was gonna shoot the mailman.

We kept all the parts and restored the guns to working condition later.
                  Originally posted by Brinkley View Post
                  I thought about this as well. They said he uses snap caps to function the gun. Does it still “click” with the firing pin removed.

Bad idea!!!!!

What if he points his gun at someone?

TransPecos, y’all are lucky she didn’t try to shoot the mailman. No telling how that would have ended.

Remove the guns immediately is the only real solution.

Comment

It's hard to do but i was in this situation. My dad let his diabetes get away and ended up with vascular dementia. I had to remove all of his guns. they are in my safe now.

Comment

Take or disable his guns today

Take the guns away. He may pull a gun on someone and get himself shot, firing pins or no.
                      Had to take Dads guns AND keys over a year ago. He is in a Nursing Home now and every trip asks for a knife because “he needs to stick a couple of folks in here”. Dementia WILL cause them to do things you can’t imagine. Remember trying to reason with your drunk buddy in high school? Same problem. They don’t process reason correctly. Take/disarm his guns TODAY.

Comment

Yes

Lots of good advise here. Now you need to go see your father's doctor and also get ahold of the alsheimers assn and get a handle on what's to come. Your going to have to prepare yourself for some much more difficult decision in your father's future. My mother had it and is the most devastating disease you can imagine. Try to prepare yourself and your family.
                        True wisdom spoken here!!

Comment

Does he have a will or other document stating what will happen with the guns when he dies? If so, just take the guns now and distribute them accordingly and get them out of his hands.

Comment

Hate to hear this and dread the day I have to be in this position.

Comment

I just had to deal with this very issue this weekend. My dad has frontal lobe dementia. He goes through varying levels of clarity. One of the things he does now is to give things he doesn’t feel he needs to other people. One of my cousins called me and told me that dad had given him his over under. He had told me that he had given it to my brother two years ago. I should have followed up, but my dad was pretty clear at that point. Luckily, my cousin knew this gun had some family meaning. He brought it to me so I could give it to my brother. My brother and I went to our parents and did a sweep to insure no other guns were there. We found a pistol no one knew he owned. My dad was always against pistols. This disease changes them. Do whatever you have to do to keep them and others safe. My dad is angry with me for taking tools, guns and his truck away but he and those around him are safe.

Comment

Dealt with it for years with my grandma after my grandpa passed away. She slowly developed dementia and Most all of my grandpas guns disappeared that I would have got had I known it was a thing. I’m pretty positive she just gave them away to other family members but still..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X