My First Elk Hunt...SUCCESS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sitting here drinking a beer, watching the game, still in shock from last evening’s events. This was the most epic hunt of my life. Long read warning!

Arriving in New Mexico the 2nd, I immediately took to hunting as my excitement couldn’t be controlled. I couldn’t wait to hear that first bugle, which as it turns out would come much later in the hunt. On day two I top a ridge to look down and see an absolute stud of a bull. I posted the story in the elk thread, but long story short I miss judged his distance and shot under him. I was sick over this much of the hunt, but so goes hunting. I had another encounter with a good bull that I called in unknowingly. Taking a break on a thick ridge I cow called a little as I drank water. I go to head out and look up to see a bull standing 40 yards from me. How that bull snuck in on me as still as it was still baffles me.

Yesterday started with me having to drag myself out of bed. 5.5 days of some of the hardest hunting of my life where I averaged 8.5 miles a day and 1200 ft of elevation gain was wearing on me. My mettle was at an all time low point as I had only had those two encounters with bulls the whole time. They were suppose to be bugling, giving me an idea of where to go. Instead, all was quite and I was just stumbling around hoping to find an elk.

The morning hunt was rather uneventful; aside from stepping within 2ft of a big rattler that lit me up with his buzzer. After settling my heart and thanking the Lord for sparing me a bite, I headed to the utv. With the afternoon hunt approaching, I was slow to leave the cabin. At this point I just didn’t know where to go. I decided to call the hunt a wash and head north on the utv to scout some areas to hunt tomorrow. The thought of not walking that afternoon was a welcoming one! While driving I notice a burn scar to my east that doesn’t look too far off. I then see a forest service road that heads that direction. I decide I had enough energy to walk to the burn scar and glass it to see if anything was there.

After glassing the burn scar and not seeing anything, I decided to give a few cow calls as I usually do, fully expecting the same result as every other calling sequence I’ve done. But after finishing the call I hear what sounds like a half bugle coming from deep within the timberline. Still not sure that is what I heard, I waited 10 minutes and gave another couple of cow calls. An instant shot of adrenaline hits when I hear a very distinct bugle and even a “chuckle” with it! A had the attention of a bull, and it was game time. I decided to cover some more ground to get closer to the timberline so I didn’t have so far to pull him out. I found a perfect set up of small trees that survived the fire where I decided to make my stand. About 200 yards from the timberline now, I hit the bull with a single cow call. He immediately bugles back and it’s apparent he’s getting closer. I didn’t want him to become weary by calling too much, so I stayed quite and waited. A sight forever etched in my memory, I finally see a bull emerging from the timbers, shortly followed by another bull! I glass the two bulls to see a very respectable 5x5, and a smaller 4x3. I watch as they begin tearing up every small cedar within proximity of them. I hit them with a pair of cow calls, and neither react to them. But who does react is another bull to my east as he sounds off with a loud bugle! This was the scenario I dreamed of for so many months!

With darkness approaching fast, I decided to get more aggressive with my calling. I let out a pair of cow calls that were louder. The smaller of the bulls begins running to me at the sound of these calls. My heart is racing as I clip my release on and raise my bow. Learning from my past mistake on the big bull from day two, I had every tree ranged and my bow sight free to dial in. As he passes my 60 yard mark, then 50, I realize this bull isn’t slowing down and place my sight for a close shot. At about 30 yards his head drops a little giving me the opportunity to draw. Undetected, he continues coming, finally stopping at 20 yards. The bull is facing me head on, and although that’s not your ideal shot, I studied the anatomy of an elk enough to have the confidence to make that shot. I touch my release and see my arrow bury completely into him. He runs about 60 yards and stops. A sick feeling starts to come over me as he just stands there for at least 10 mins. My fears of a bad shot are finally quelled when the bull eventually staggers and falls!

He’s not the biggest bull in the woods, but that’s the least of my worries. The experience, the soon to be freezer full of some of the finest, freshest table fare around, and the incredible sense of accomplishment I have from this trumps antler size. Solo bow hunting, public land, and being a rookie, I fully prepared myself to be eating tag soup! The Lord blessed me with an amazing experience I’ll never forget.

There were many folks who advised me not to do this hunt solo. I certainly get the risks, and seen it first hand with the encounter with the rattlesnake. But I’ve never been more proud of a kill in my life. It was an experience I’ll forever cherish!

I want to give a shout out to Jared and Ladrones, who stayed in contact with me offering up valuable knowledge as much as they could, as well as the many others who commented on my thread with help and advice. Jared even offered to drive an hour to help me get my elk off the mountain, an awesome gesture to someone you’ve never met. It’s what makes TBH such a great site!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by solocam_aggie; 09-09-2021, 08:32 PM.

Awesome thread!
    Well done and a big congrats on a great bow kill.

Comment

Congrats!
      Well deserved trophy in anyone's book.

Comment

Congratulations on a nice bull! Glad you kept pushing through even when it seemed like nothing was going your way.

Comment

Congrats, great bull and to do it solo DIY, respect!!

Comment

Congrats man. What a rush that is. Can’t wait to head out again myself.

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

That’s awesome, congrats!

Comment

Congrats! Great hunt & you earned your bull!

Comment

Badàss!!! I’m headed up to northern NM for elk on Tuesday. Hopefully some of your luck rubs off!

Any tactics or tips you’d suggest based on your hunt?

Comment

Cool bull!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats! Nice kill

Comment

Congrats sir!!!

Comment

Contrast man!!

Comment