22-250 alternate powders suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22-250 alternate powders suggestions...

I've been loading my wife's Ruger Hawkeye in 22-250 with the 50 gr,. Barnes TSX. I haven't been able to locate anymore TSX bullets so I've ordered some 55 gr. Sierra Gameking SBT. I'm out of powder for it as well and am looking for a suitable substitute for H380. I have the following on hand:

IMR 4895- less than half a pound
    IMR 4064- probably 2 pounds
    IMR 4350- 8 pounds
    H4350- less than a pound
    RL19- 2 pounds
    IMR 4831-1 pound

Any recommendations on what to use? Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	24662466
    4064 prolly work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That's where I'm leaning. I also have IMR3031 and H335.

Comment

1 LB should get you about 200 rounds.

Varget has been working well for me.

Comment

I’ve used 4064 in mine with several 55 grain variants.

Comment

Hodgdon H380, 38.0 gr, match grade primers.

Comment

I have always shot varget, but have been told “Big Game” often works better.
              After firing many rounds of Big Game powder in 2 outings, today chrono showed 5 rounds with ES 6 and SD of 2.
              Changing.2-.3 gr with this particular powder does make a difference for me.
              Give it a try.
              38.4gr worked in new brass for me.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                Hodgdon H380, 38.0 gr, match grade primers.
                My go-to propellant with 55-gr bullets. 35.6 gr is my best performing load in my Win Featherweight.

Comment

I always used 4320.

Comment

IMR4064 is my recommendation. I use it almost exclusively in my 220 Swift.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I loaded some of the 55 gr. Sierra BTSP with 36 gr. of IMR 4895, 36 grains of 4064 and 39 grains of IMR 4350. All were seated to the same length with the same primer. I tried to limit too many component variables and figured I'd find a good load with just a powder change.

All three loads had respectable groups but the 4350 was the best. I seated them out as far as the magazine would allow in her Ruger Hawkeye. She has about 25 rounds left of the 50 gr. TSX loads that I made for her. I'll let her shoot that up before switching over to the Sierras. Unless I find some more TSX's.

The TSX load is super accurate at 3700+ FPS. She put 3 shots darn near in the same hole about an inch high at 100 and then we put the rifle away. She's ready to smack some pigs and deer I think.

Comment

I’ve got 2 unopened pounds of H380
                        PM me if interested in trading

Comment

This is so funny…..I’ve been handloading the 250 for a long time and oddly enough the best group mine ever turned in was an experimental batch using imr4350. I say funny because most reloading manuals don’t reference it as a reliable alternative for the 250. Ive tried all the other stuff and my early 90’s 700 VLS isn’t really picky but the 4350 group I s just super tight. If I remember correctly was like a 15 shot .433” group with the 55 grain v-max moly’s.

[emoji1662]

Comment

Working...
                          X