Did MLD ruin opening day in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
    Are you just as excited for Christmas and your birthday as you were as a kid.

It's about you. Not MLD.
    What made Christmas exciting as a kid? Part of it was because ALL the kids got together to play with all their new toys. It wouldn't be as good if 1/3 of the kids got presents and had days off school Nov 15th then another 1/3 on Dec 10 and then the rest on Dec 25th.

That's all the OP is saying.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
      So I take it since you don't bow hunt, you don't rifle hunt either? I mean, if the chance of getting shot by an mld rifle hunter in October scares you, surely general season is guaranteed death... I like peaceful bow hunting too, but you know, what I like and you like don't mean squat. MLD is legal, if you don't like it stay home, no one will care. As for me, I'll sit in my bow stand, listen to 1 or 2 guns go off, and enjoy life. Happy hunting sir
      I do rifle hunt. So, you are mistaken.
      I bow hunted from 1968 until around 2000.
      I do basically stay home. I go rifle hunting about 5 days a year now, mainly just to get into the woods. Doesn't bother me to not get a deer anymore.

Comment

Rolling around with a pig in the mud story comes to mind here……….. unfortunately, like many threads on TBH now days…….

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
          kill em in February or March.
          Do you have reading comp issues? I said I want to kill them prior to rut? Are you from East Texas?

Comment

[ATTACH]1063572[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
              Do you have reading comp issues? I said I want to kill them prior to rut? Are you from East Texas?
              if they're dead in February, they're dead before the rut.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                Maybe not for you. But for me and I'm sure a lot of others, it absolutely is needed. Hunting time is limited by work, family stuff, life, ect. We need the time. To suggest otherwise when you are not involved with that particular ranch is simply narrow-minded.

Geez, Will. Maybe I do suck as a hunter. Maybe not. But I have killed one or two in my lifetime. It's more about the management, not the hunting. Has absolutely zero to do with bringing in paid hunters. On our lease, killing does is pretty tough. We need the time. Same as above, it's pretty narrow-minded to suggest you know more about how to manage our place than we do. And I'm glad you had a couple weekends one year where you were able to shoot a lot of does. If you knew how many of those weekends I've had over the years, you might not make some of these comments.
                I have no doubt with you Chance that if there wasn't an extended season, you could fill your tags during regular season. My point is, it was lobbied for by big hunting outfitters that they needed more time because they couldn't fill all the tags and in reality it was about extra hunting time for clients. The private ranches like yours don't fall into that category. I don't have a problem with MLD, it is just the guise they used to gain extra hunting time. I have hunted MLD plenty as well as non MLD.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  I know you aren't surprised
                  Not a bit

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                    I have no doubt with you Chance that if there wasn't an extended season, you could fill your tags during regular season. My point is, it was lobbied for by big hunting outfitters that they needed more time because they couldn't fill all the tags and in reality it was about extra hunting time for clients. The private ranches like yours don't fall into that category. I don't have a problem with MLD, it is just the guise they used to gain extra hunting time. I have hunted MLD plenty as well as non MLD.

There have been several “private ranches” represented here that support MLD as a management tool to use. It seems it’s not just a trick for “big outfitters” to get extra hunting time, Regardless of your opinion to the contrary.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                      I always looked at it the other way. They offer extended time as a carrot to get people to participate in MLD and make it worth jumping through the hoops. The goal being to get more people to participate in management programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                        I always looked at it the other way. They offer extended time as a carrot to get people to participate in MLD and make it worth jumping through the hoops. The goal being to get more people to participate in management programs.
                        I think it's more of a tax, and a way for the state to get the citizens to do it's dirty work.

Comment

MLD is a management tool. It wasn’t created for “hunting”. Sure lots of guys start out the season hunting on the MLD tags but then switch gears to management. A lot of ranches have to shoot 180 plus deer every year. It’s about putting deer in the back of the truck and it becomes a lot of work. A few guys hunting their annual license tags aren’t going to manage anything on these types of places. That’s why the state issues the tags for the property. Between life, family obligations, work and 100 other things it can be hard to get the numbers. Extra time helps with getting it accomplished.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                            MLD is a management tool. It wasn’t created for “hunting”. Sure lots of guys start out the season hunting on the MLD tags but then switch gears to management. A lot of ranches have to shoot 180 plus deer every year. It’s about putting deer in the back of the truck and it becomes a lot of work. A few guys hunting their annual license tags aren’t going to manage anything on these types of places. That’s why the state issues the tags for the property. Between life, family obligations, work and 100 other things it can be hard to get the numbers. Extra time helps with getting it accomplished.
                            AGAIN....they do not "HAVE TO", they signed up because they want to...

Comment

Ill jump on this burning train

MLD is a fantastic program and management tool. We could not keep our high fence place in check without being on the Conservation Option of MLD (This is the old MLD 3).

I agree with many of the comments on here that TPWD's success of ranches enrolling into the MLD program diluted the "opening day / opening weekend" vibe, as people are starting earlier and at different times.

The cat is now out of the bag, and it would be very difficult to retroactively change the MLD Conservation and Harvest option seasons as currently put in place. But, if I had been in charge of setting up the original MLD levels and seasons, I would have been against allowing rifle season to start in October for MLD 3. (Now called the Conservation option).

I think this is especially true for low fence ranches on the Conservation option. It is an unfair advantage to allow one low fence place to start shooting their bucks with rifles on October 1, when the place next door can't start until Nov 1. I think the state should at a minimum keep the Buck tags as bow only until Nov 1 for low fence ranches enrolled in the Conservation (MLD3) level of the program...
                              Other than that - I think the program is great, and has changed hunting for the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                                I wish they'd do away with any kind of special archery season to stop more mature deer from being wounded and never recovered before the rest of us have a chance to get out there.
                                Oh yall are out there. Sounds like wwII on opening day.

But I see what you did and there may be some truth to it. But opening weekend in the middle of the rut allows every idiot with a license to have a pretty good chance at killing a buck. Meanwhile many of those people only want meat and don't care at all about managing a healthy balanced herd. And that screws it up for everyone. To get within 30 yards of a deer and kill it with a bow takes a little more work than a bunch if party animals drinking beer in a box blind and killing a 1.5 year old from 250 yards. They mainly showed up to get our of the house and hang with the guys. Which is great, but if it were only one weekend later many deer would make it to older age classes. Btw, I'm not saying this is you or anyone here, but you know these types. It's their only day in the deer woods.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X