Laguna Atascosa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laguna Atascosa

I drew LANWR Archery deer. I have limited time and some other nice tags this year so I’m trying to make a good decision if it’s worth the long drive and extra draw fee. Dates are 12/17-21. If any kind individuals want to drop some info or knowledge about that hunt, those dates, peak rut activity, flora, fauna, or any other tips, feel free to shoot a private message or comment. Thanks in advance!

It’s a difficult hunt, but a very cool place. The ability to hunt Nilgai on public land at very little costs is amazing. Personally, it’s one of my favorite places to hunt in Tx and I have hunted all over Tx for 20+ years. But it’s difficult, lots of animals but very very low kill to hunter ratio. Mainly because the place is huge and the animals can avoid danger by running just about any direction for miles. Depending on who you ask it’s between 30k and 50k acres, I have no idea the actual size of the huntable area, but it’s big. Last year I think my weekend of 200 hunters ended with 12 kills. My advice would be…go if you are willing to put in the work, scouting, walking, all day sits, etc. Anything short of that will probably leave you frustrated, it’s simply not a place you can just show up and kill something, and even if you did you have to pack it out by foot, cart, or bike…no motorized vehicles allowed in the hunting area.

Comment

Thanks for that! Most successful people still hunting or what’s the way to get it done?

Comment

Also drawn for this one. Have only heard that it’s very hard, snakes, gators, ticks, and to being a bike. Curious if anyone else has tips on hunting styles as well though. Are there trees that you could setup a stand in?

Comment

Originally posted by Vampire View Post
          Thanks for that! Most successful people still hunting or what’s the way to get it done?
          Still hunting is about the only way with a bow in hand. Those animals are so smart and weary you couldn’t get within 509 yards if you were trying to stalk.
          Originally posted by TroubledTurkey View Post
          Also drawn for this one. Have only heard that it’s very hard, snakes, gators, ticks, and to being a bike. Curious if anyone else has tips on hunting styles as well though. Are there trees that you could setup a stand in?
          Still hunting over animal sign is the way to go. And you cannot attach anything to a tree, nor can you harm a tree to set up stand. ABSOLUTELY Nothing can be done to the trees, brush, rocks, dirt or anything at Laguna. If you do and you get caught, you will pay dearly. The federal wardens don’t play down there.

Comment

There's lots of previous threads on here on Atascosa. Check em out.

Comment

Archery success rate for a mature buck or mature nilgai(cow or bull) has stayed around 1% or less than 1%. Facts.

It's a hell of a time![emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                There's lots of previous threads on here on Atascosa. Check em out.
                I'm no expert at the forum thing, but I've searched "Laguna Atascosa" and "LANWR" and cannot find the previous threads everyone speaks of.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                  Still hunting is about the only way with a bow in hand. Those animals are so smart and weary you couldn’t get within 509 yards if you were trying to stalk.

Still hunting over animal sign is the way to go. And you cannot attach anything to a tree, nor can you harm a tree to set up stand. ABSOLUTELY Nothing can be done to the trees, brush, rocks, dirt or anything at Laguna. If you do and you get caught, you will pay dearly. The federal wardens don’t play down there.
                  Isn't it a shame that the feds are protecting an invasive species so avidly in the mesquite tree.

Comment

I'm no expert at the forum thing, but I've searched "Laguna Atascosa" and "LANWR" and cannot find the previous threads everyone speaks of.
                    search in public hunt forum as well as campfire. try just laguna.

Comment

When you type in your search, below the box, select titles only. there are pages of threads.

Comment

Working...
                      X