No announcement yet.

The Trades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great advice. Always looking to hire good Stationary Engineers without College degrees as they last longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great advice! Millions have spent 6 figures (or more likely borrowed) to get a generic degree and end up in a soul-sucking job as a miserable cubicle-dweller doing something they hate. The trades are not for everybody but the money can be good and the more entrepreneurial among them can become very successful starting their own company.

Comment

The Trades

I’m a subcontractor for a door and weatherstrip company. Business is booming, but I see a lot of trades that can’t keep up. Even with us- I’ve trained a lot of guys, but they don’t last. No one wants to do manual labor any more.

Comment

Agreed 100%. The future isn't necessarily on paved through a bachelor degree. If you send your kids to college, make sure and ensure it's with an employable degree.
          Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

My oldest went through the welding program at TSTC. On his second welding job he was making over $100k.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Absolutely, no degree on my wall. Just 17 years experience in masonry and masonry sales. I give this advice all the time, unfortunately so many aren’t will to take the upfront lumps and want to start where most finish! Just got to put in the time and effort and the payoff will come in. Trades and skills are much needed in all fields of construction!

Comment

Totally agree

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Our business Requires Experience. By Starting somewhere else
                  With an entry-level position , That Could lead to
                  Working Commission in a 40-50 hr week grossing nearly 2k..
                  Skilled Automotive

Comment

Best post I've seen on TBH on a while. Totally agree....plus your kids aren't indoctrinated by leftist loon professors.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                      Best post I've seen on TBH on a while. Totally agree....plus your kids aren't indoctrinated by leftist loon professors.
                      This.

Comment

Great post and advice Curt! The trade business is what keep this world going in my opinion! And right now trades are super important to the ever growing infrastructure of this country. I’m a trade school grad (AC license). Was in the business for 10 years and switched over to oil and gas. I do still use my skillset to work my own or neighbors units when they go down. Actually did some work for another neighbor today. I do often think about starting my own business because there is a huge need for more feet on the ground. Just very hesitant is all

Comment

Great advice. However, I believe the shortage of hands is only going to get worse. Young people these days don’t want anything to do with manual labor. I honestly believe most would be okay if someone just mailed them a paycheck every Friday.

Comment

One key to success is to have a job you enjoy. A job doing the same thing you would normally be doing on your day off from a job you hate would be perfect.
                            I know a feller that barely got his GED and he pays in over $250k a year in income tax taking all the tax cuts and tax breaks he can. He is in sales. Sales is where the big money is if you are working for the other feller. Not everybody is cut out for sales but you will never know until you try. This person can sell an Arab a bucket of sand because he loves the art of the deal.

Comment

Completely agree. My dad never finished higschool. He finished 9th grade and went to work hanging Sheetrock. Ended up with a good crew under him over the years and got hurt. Started his own company with carpentry and did very well. Sold his business and retired. He insisted I went to some sort of college even though I didn’t want to said an associates or trade was fine and pushed me towards medical. Now I’m a nurse and know my way around tools from growing up in the shop and working there because it was required by him. Through high school college. he said it was something I could always fall back on. His biggest complaint through retirement was finding guys willing to work and he paid his guys well. If I ever did something stupid and lost my license id be starting in a trade. I have buddies that do as well as me or better with no college that are in trades. My brother went trade route with no college and is doing great. His kids in college with plan to take over the business as he worked it through school and knows it but will have the business education background to hopefully help
                              Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 09-08-2021, 06:14 PM.

Comment

I agree to an extent. I wouldn’t say all young people don’t want to work.
                                Several of you have seen my posts going back to 2018 when i had a stint of layoffs. Three times since 2018.
                                I tried going back to do field work starting from the bottom but nobody would touch me with a 10 ft pole. I had success moving up with companies quickly so idk if that was a deterrent for some who would not want to replace me? Even went and got my CDL to try and get my foot in the door operating heavy equipment.

I might be looking again shortly. Current employer mentioned the idea of mandating the fouci ouchi.

Comment

Working...
                                X